Some help with a stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed three different beers about 2.5 to 3 weeks ago. Two of them have stalled around 1.022. Should I still keg them?

The two are a Caribou Slobber and a Caribbean stout. They both taste great, but thought they may still need to ferment down more. The stout has been in primary 15 days and the Slobber about 19. I don't know about the slobber as I've brewed that before (1 gallon extract) and I remember the FG of that batch being closer to 1.010. The stout, I don't know since this is my first stout. All three of these batches are all-grain. Thanks for any suggestions.

Might not be stalled. What were your recipes and processes? Ingredients, mash temps, fermentation temps, etc?

Might not be stalled. What were your recipes and processes? Ingredients, mash temps, fermentation temps, etc?

For the Caribou Slobber, here's a link to the PDF on Northern Brewer (link). My mash temp was 154F. I think I remember going a degree over what was suggested in the recipe. Fermenting temp was 65F. That's the ambient temp in my freezer.

For the Caribbean Stout, here's the recipe from BYO's website. (link). I hit the mash temp on the nose at 152F. I did a lot different with this brew as I am brewing the BIAB method. I didn't sparge any any of these batches either as I mashed with enough volume of water to leave me with about 6-6.5 gallons at pre-boil. On the stout, I also boiled for 60 minutes instead of the suggested 90. Fermentation was also at 65F.

I bought my ingredients from Brewmasters Warehouse, so I don't know if that would make a difference with the Caribou Slobber, since the Slobber is "their" (Northern Brewer's) beer. I also noticed that the stout started having airlock activity again, so I went ahead and put it back in the freezer for a few more days. I did the same with the Slobber, so maybe I just checked the FG a bit too early?

I know it's suggested to check the FG once, wait 2-3 days and check it again before transferring or bottling. I usually just let my beers sit in primary for three weeks and if the first gravity is between 1.005-1.010, I just bottle or keg then.

I'm guessing I just jumped the gun on these two batches, but I feel better with a second opinion from the brew gurus, or "brewrus", here. Thanks JLem and others on your advice and suggestions. :tank:

I've never done BIAB, but nothing jumps out to me as being out of the range of normal. I wonder though if warming them up some will help push the gravity along. Like you, given the way things have been done, I would have expected the beers to be finished by now. No harm in pulling them out of the fermentation chamber and giving them more time and see what happens. :mug:

Is the thermometer you use for mash temp calibrated? If not and you mashed at a higher temp then you have a less ferment able wort.

Also, what yeast and did you make a starter? If you under pitched the beer it could be reason to not fully attenuate as well. Fermentation temperature can also contribute if the yeasty dropped too soon.

Have you tried raising the temp and agitating the yeast back into suspension to finish?

........Have you tried raising the temp and agitating the yeast back into suspension to finish?

I did with the Slobber, but not with the stout, even though I saw sudden airlock activity with the stout after putting the lid back on.

I didn't make a starter with these two batches (used dry yeast for the Slobber). The stout's OG was less than 1.060, so I didn't bother with it when I pitched the liquid yeast. I have the temp at 65F on my freezer. How high should I go, about 70F? I can bump it up if needed.

Yesfan said:
I did with the Slobber, but not with the stout, even though I saw sudden airlock activity with the stout after putting the lid back on.

I didn't make a starter with these two batches (used dry yeast for the Slobber). The stout's OG was less than 1.060, so I didn't bother with it when I pitched the liquid yeast. I have the temp at 65F on my freezer. How high should I go, about 70F? I can bump it up if needed.

I'd go 70-75, give it a swirl and see what happens

Well, no change after the temp adjustment. I swirled and put them back in the chamber at 70F. The FG on these two beers is still in the 1.020s. They tasted good, so I just went ahead and kegged them.

Back