Stabilizing and Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikings

Reaction score
My first mead (Blood Orange and Ginger) is about to come out of primary. I wanted to stabilize and cold crash it, but wasn't sure of the order. Is it best to cold crash it first, then add the K-meta followed by K-sorbate, or vice versa?

It is sitting around .990, OG was 1.135 so I might be at the yeast limit. I'm going to back sweeten with blood oranges, orange juice, and maybe a little honey depending on how sweet the oranges get it. I'm aiming for a FG of around1.010 or so.

My first mead (Blood Orange and Ginger) is about to come out of primary. I wanted to stabilize and cold crash it, but wasn't sure of the order. Is it best to cold crash it first, then add the K-meta followed by K-sorbate, or vice versa?

It is sitting around .990, OG was 1.135 so I might be at the yeast limit. I'm going to back sweeten with blood oranges, orange juice, and maybe a little honey depending on how sweet the oranges get it. I'm aiming for a FG of around1.010 or so.

Cold crash first. Then, when you're ready, rack onto the sorbate/campden solution. Wait three days, and then sweeten to taste. That's it!

Edit- I just reread and saw that it's still in primary. Yikes- don't cold crash yet!

Wait until the mead and totally and completely clear, racking every 60 days when you have lees present. After no new lees fall after at least 60 days, THEN you can cold stabilize. Then proceed.

By the mead being "clear", you should be able to read a newspaper through it easily. That's how clear it will be when it's ready to stabilize.

Wait until the mead and totally and completely clear, racking every 60 days when you have lees present. After no new lees fall after at least 60 days, THEN you can cold stabilize. Then proceed.

By the mead being "clear", you should be able to read a newspaper through it easily. That's how clear it will be when it's ready to stabilize.

Ok. I thought cold crashing helped to speed up clearing by having the yeast drop out faster and more completely. Maybe I misunderstood the process. I'm pretty sure I'm within a couple of days of finishing primary. These last few points have taken forever, but I'm at around .001 drop every day and the mead is clearing daily.

Ok. I thought cold crashing helped to speed up clearing by having the yeast drop out faster and more completely. Maybe I misunderstood the process. I'm pretty sure I'm within a couple of days of finishing primary. These last few points have taken forever, but I'm at around .001 drop every day and the mead is clearing daily.

Well, yes, cold crashing does help the yeast and other suspend solids drop out faster, but usually after about 6 months in the secondary!

Here is an update. I bottled this about a week ago. It's nice and dry, but HOT from the ginger. It's kind of too orange forward as well. I wish I had used about half of the orange peel, but still delicious! Overall, I'm pleased as this was the first thing I ever brewed.

image.jpg

Here is an update. I bottled this about a week ago. It's nice and dry, but HOT from the ginger. It's kind of too orange forward as well. I wish I had used about half of the orange peel, but still delicious! Overall, I'm pleased as this was the first thing I ever brewed.
Ginger is strange old stuff.......

You can use "too much" and seeming you don't get enough flavour from it. You can use just a little and it seems to be hot as hell....

I wish there was as much info/guidance for its use or extracting the flavour as there is for chilli pepper/capsaicin......

With your "orange forward" thing, presumably you used whole orange then ?

Having done various experiments, pithy bitterness is one of the reasons I find JAO to be a poor dry recipe - and I suspect other orange recipes where the whole fruit has been used. Its entirely possible that it needs to be a bit sweeter, but orange pith taste is masked by lots of sweetness in the JAO recipe (often at the 1.025 sort of area), and extra sugar/sweetness brings out the heat/warmth of ginger flavour......

i.e. if you don't want that as a "main" focus in the flavour, then it seems that you need to "zest" the orange first as that is the part that contains the oils, aromatics and other VOC's and then either juice it or segment it and use the flesh/juice and zest.......

Equally, maybe its one of those combo's that need long aging ? Cos, given the figures you quote, 1.135 to 0.990, dunno what yeast you used but most aren't capable of that - mind that 133 point drop equates to 18% ABV so while there's some variability with honey musts when considering the publish numbers for many yeast (plus a very few yeasts capable of more than that), I'd have just left it aging for a couple of years.......

besides that, it sounds like a flavour combo I could drink to excess :D and it looks an excellent colour........

I used K1V 1116. Also, it was the zest of 4 large oranges + juice. However it was the first time I ever "zested" anything and I think I went too deep and got some pith too. I guess it's not how deep you go but that you hit the right spot. :) Live and learn! I'm hoping it will age gracefully, and I have enough to do a monthly tasting for the next 3 years, lol. I'll probably give it another 6 months in the bottle before I crack another though.

I used K1V 1116. Also, it was the zest of 4 large oranges + juice. However it was the first time I ever "zested" anything and I think I went too deep and got some pith too. I guess it's not how deep you go but that you hit the right spot. :) Live and learn! I'm hoping it will age gracefully, and I have enough to do a monthly tasting for the next 3 years, lol. I'll probably give it another 6 months in the bottle before I crack another though.
Hum ? maybe......... when you see the chefs on the telly cooking programmes they always seem to get a small amouny of pith. Though there are those zesting tools that scratch off the tiny rinds of the coloured skin part leaving the lighter coloured pith below - just that it might be a PITA to zest more than a couple of fruit........

hey ho ! Just leave them to age or gift them with a "Not before" date label for a year or two hence :rockin:

Back