Ahoy! Ahoy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyO'

Reaction score
Been brewing extract and partial mash for about 3 or 4 months with very much success. The partial mash pushed me to all grain. Next batch will be on my new Unibrau 10 gallon system - that shipped yesterday. I usually do not do three hobbies at once - but here I am.

Many of the threads here have been very helpful. That said - the potential for a lack of consensus and mythbusting in this hobby is unlike any I have ever seen anywhere else! Makes it wayyyyyyy more interesting.

That said - the potential for a lack of consensus and mythbusting in this hobby is unlike any I have ever seen anywhere else!

Welcome to the obsession.

As you read myth-busting posts, bear in mind that overturning long held, generally accepted theories requires substantial proof, i.e. much more than someone's personal incredulity. And watch out for "I did "Y" instead of "X" and made great beer, therefore "Y" is really the best practice." Ugh.

That said, there certainly are a few brewing myths that just don't hold up in the light of evidence.

Welcome to the obsession.

As you read myth-busting posts, bear in mind that overturning long held, generally accepted theories requires substantial proof, i.e. much more than someone's personal incredulity. And watch out for "I did "Y" instead of "X" and made great beer, therefore "Y" is really the best practice." Ugh.

That said, there certainly are a few brewing myths that just don't hold up in the light of evidence.
I like the triangle tests on Brulosophy.

Ahh, damn. all i got is, Welcome! and :mug: otherwise i'd go off on a tangent, and you'll learn there's other people better at math then me! i did make an arch with my calculator once though! ;)

Welcome! Only done extract and cider with store bought juice myself so far, but looking to expand to all grain and cider with orchard juice here in the next couple months.

Rather than start yet another Brulosophy debate, I'll just leave this here:
http://sonsofalchemy.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Understanding_Brulosophy_2.pdf
Huh. And just like that I understand (I think) all the debate I've seen here about if Brulosophy is good or not. If I understand correctly most who dislike Brulosophy do so because Blulosophy usually concludes this or that isn't helpful, so why do it. BUT if you have 5+ steps in one brew, and each step may show some statistical evidence to being better (or at least different) like the above example, then BOOM. A bunch of little changes that on their own may make an almost undetectable difference add up to a definitely detectable difference at the end. Is that about right?

That looks like a FANTASTIC way to start a Brulosophy debate!

Why? That presentation doesn't comment one way or the other on the goodness of Brulosophy experiments. It just explains in layman's terms what the numbers actually mean.

Why? That presentation doesn't comment one way or the other on the goodness of Brulosophy experiments. It just explains in layman's terms what the numbers actually mean.
One fellow commented on it. I could be wrong. We could test the theory by posting it in a more conspicuous place. Or we could just move on. What say you? Move on?

Back