Is my beer contaminated!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerbarth

Reaction score
checked the gravity of my dogfish head 60 min IPA after 6 days in the primary. I put lid back on and re sanitized the airlock. After sanitizing I put water in airlock and inserted airlock in place. It seems the suction pulled a small amount of water from airlock into the primary. This is my first brew ever and I am hoping this small mishap does not skunk my brew. Should I be worried?

checked the gravity of my dogfish head 60 min IPA after 6 days in the primary. I put lid back on and re sanitized the airlock. After sanitizing I put water in airlock and inserted airlock in place. It seems the suction pulled a small amount of water from airlock into the primary. This is my first brew ever and I am hoping this small mishap does not skunk my brew. Should I be worried?

No, it is unlikely that anything bad will happen to your beer.

Nope, you should be fine. Tap water is fairly sanitary, what with the chlorine that's added, but even then, you probably have plenty of active yeast that are outcompeting any nasties that got in. Plenty of people top off with gallons of unboiled tap water and have no problems.

Also: just a little FYI, skunking refers to a specific problem with beer, which is when light hits a beer, esp. in clear bottles. It's that weird "ass end of a skunk" off taste you've become familiar with in Corona. Spoiling is a better generic term for getting something ucky growing in your beer.

The more you know!

Thanks..I am new into the world of home brewing. I can already tell this hobby I have always wanted to do will turn into a slight addiction. The fiancé' is already asking herself, should I have bought him all this brewing equipment. More questions to come as I am going to venture into creating my own recipe..

Back