Spiced rum and oak goes into what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invivoSaccharomyces

Reaction score
I swear I saw a recipe once - and I'm pretty sure it was on one of these forums - for some kinda amber or red ale that called for oak chips soaked in spiced rum.

I didn't pay much attention at the time, since it wasn't the recipe I was looking for at the time, but I kept it in mind. And now that I've got oak chips soaking in spiced rum, I can't find the bloody recipe!

Now, what am I going to do with all this oaky rum? Who's got a recipe that calls for it? I'm still thinking I'd prefer an amber or a red of some sort, but I wouldn't say no to a porter or a blonde, either.

Cheers!

I've had Avery's Rumpkin ale before, it was great. Imperial pumpkin ale aged in rum barrels.

I've used spiced rum a few times its a great flavor.....I prefer from the bourbon flavor

The last time soaked dried cranberries in spiced rum for a dark Saison ...awesome beer

Oh, believe me, bourbon is on the horizon! I'm saving those beers for the fall and winter, though.

I'm hoping for something a little less sweet than a saison for this one, but that does sound good... I might have to try that!

Back