2013 NHC first round results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought all the problems with this competition were figured out...not so fast! I got an email:

The First Round results have been processed, and you can now log in to your First Round competition to access/print your competition letter, certificates and instructions for entering the Final Round if your entry placed or has been awarded an Administrative Advance.

So I go an log in...present with someone elses information/registration page! Awesome... wow

On the bright side there is hope for competitions - I stewarded at the Spirit of Free Beer this past weekend and it was so smooth. A local member has created a program that scans and reads a barcode for each individual entrant which compiles one pdf per entrant (all of their scoresheets), posts the scores to the brewcomp site and emails the entrant. Everyone had scores listed on the brewcomp site within 30 minutes of the end of the comp and scoresheets in their email inboxes within 24 hours - AWESOME

Yup, Login is messed up. I'm logging in incorrectly as Dave O'brien. I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate him on his scoring a 35 on his american IPA.

Yup, Login is messed up. I'm logging in incorrectly as Dave O'brien. I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate him on his scoring a 35 on his american IPA.

Hey now wait a minute...... I am also Dave O'brien (not really, but logged me in as him too) - how do you also get to be Dave O'Brien??

Yeah... they should really shut down the servers now. They are handing out names, addresses, emails and phone numbers that they really shouldn't be.

Yup, I just popped in - and it's got me in as someone else. I couldn't figure out why my entry wouldn't come up.

Now I managed to log in as myself, but the certificates were for another brewer. - Well partially. It has my beer, his name and his entries (which weren't in my style)

I get different names in different browsers. This really isn't good. PII breaches are very serious and I can't believe they still have the servers up.

edit- looks like they've updated it. What a mess.... :(

Yeah, I logged in to find someone else's entry information as well.

I cannot believe how poorly this whole competition has gone. I appreciate all the hard work of the volunteers and everything, but personally speaking I am done with NHC until they can demonstrate they've got things under control.

Yeah, I logged in to find someone else's entry information as well.

I cannot believe how poorly this whole competition has gone. I appreciate all the hard work of the volunteers and everything, but personally speaking I am done with NHC until they can demonstrate they've got things under control.

You're surprised? The whole thing has been a cluster starting with registration. I hope the NHC conference is run better.

Nothing surprises me about this year’s competition. Especially the New York region. Sure, if I had something move forward I would have been happier, but with all the organizational screw-ups that went on, it's hard to take the results seriously. It’s not a stretch of imagination to doubt their ability to match a beer to the proper entrant.

I had the same issue as everyone else, but mine seems to be fixed now. I did email Janis Gross and got the following automatic reply:
Thank you for your email.

We are experiencing a server problem this morning. Here is what you need to do to access your correct record in the National Homebrewe Competition database.

• Log out.
• Clear your browser cache and cookies.
• Wait until 12:30 MDT
• Log back in.

Thanks for the information; we're working on the problem.

Cheers,
Janis

Nothing surprises me about this year’s competition. Especially the New York region. Sure, if I had something move forward I would have been happier, but with all the organizational screw-ups that went on, it's hard to take the results seriously. It’s not a stretch of imagination to doubt their ability to match a beer to the proper entrant.

I have thought the same thing to some extent. But, I am taking comfort in the fact that at the regional level, I am assuming the competitions were essentially run by the local clubs that put on the other big comps.... for example, I am assuming K.C. was basically run by, staffed by and organized by the folks that did the Biermeister contest, and St. Paul by Upper Mississippi Mashout, and Milwaukee by Midwinter, etc..... I entered each of those comps and I was very happy with the quality of the comments, the entry process, the punctual results, etc. etc.... Just some really well-run competitions. I feel confident in the quality of how the actual judging was run, even if some of the other aspects have been a bit of a disaster.

I just used adobe to edit the name on my certificates, and then printed them out. I should've changed the scores, and given myself two golds while I was at it.

Man, I'm pretty disappointed in this whole process too. This has certainly tarnished the prestige of the NHC in my mind.

All excuses and apologists aside, this is wholly unprofessional. Considering the expense of this competition, I'm shocked that things went so poorly.

I hope they learn their lessons and correct for next year, because at this point, I don't think I'm going to bother entering anything.

I just used adobe to edit the name on my certificates, and then printed them out. I should've changed the scores, and given myself two golds while I was at it.

heh... Yuo R teh Winnar! :)

Anyone know if actual certificates are being mailed out with the ribbons or are they just a 'print yourself' type of thing?

While everyone is in there fixing the names on the ceritificates and upgrading your scores, you might want to fix the spelling of CERTIFICATE, seeing as it isn't correct.

My entries/certs are showing up correctly, but I can't edit my advancing entries (to add the recipe) or print my bottle labels as the summary sheet state.

While everyone is in there fixing the names on the ceritificates and upgrading your scores, you might want to fix the spelling of CERTIFICATE, seeing as it isn't correct.

Lol. Not that I really care about these or plan to print them, but I like how there is no stamp or color or anything to match up with Gold, Silver or Bronze - just the words Gold, Silver or Bronze. At least the scores are accurate I guess.

My entries/certs are showing up correctly, but I can't edit my advancing entries (to add the recipe) or print my bottle labels as the summary sheet state.
From the other dudes pdf that I was able to pull off my account (lol) it says there's another site that you'll need to register on to add your advancing entries.

I'm sure there will be no issues.

what score is associated with Bronze?

i got golds for my 40+'s and silvers for my 30+'s, but my 24 got a colorless certificate (i.e. no bronze, just the word "certificate"). is bronze 25-29?

(not that it really matters...)

EDIT: "certficate", not certificate :mug:

What a mess.... :(

NHC 2013: never forget

I know I'm turned off by the whole thing. I won't be renewing my membership. NHC is cool, the conference is fun, and I guess they do some positive lobbying (I think).

But the constant problems the last few years with the conference registration and competition are pretty comical. Especially given the excuses.

Where can you find out what the score/medal range is?

I received a Silver for a score of 31 and Bronze for a score of 26. What get's you Gold a 40+?

Latest posts

Back