Any ideas what is happening here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbkrew

Reaction score
I have some second year Nugget hops vines that started growing well. Then this last week I noticed that the tips of some of them were beginning to wilt and shrivel up. Most of them have followed suit, and a couple have had the top leaf clusters blacken and shrivel as well. Pics below. Any clues as to what this is or how to treat it?

2013-05-22 14.51.02.jpg

2013-05-22 14.48.46.jpg

I've seen some people make comments about the type of twine they were using causing problems. Not sure if it was the same.

I'd be tempted to put a bamboo stake next to the twine and try gently unwinding them and transferring them to the bamboo. If they continue to have this problem it's a nutrient issue, if the problem goes away then the hops are leaching something out of the your rope.

I don't think it is an issue with the twine. I am using three different types and it is happening on all three. Most of the twine is stuff I used last year, and some of it was sent with the rhizomes from freshops.com.

As for the nutrients - any ideas what kind of deficiency this is?

I've got no idea as far as what deficiency it could be. I've never fertilized my hops so I never looked into what kind of nutrients they prefer or symptoms of something wrong.

I know it is the obvious thing to ask, but where they bit by some cold overnight weather? Seems strange that it looks like the really tender parts are what is affected, similar to cold temp die-off.

I know it is the obvious thing to ask, but where they bit by some cold overnight weather? Seems strange that it looks like the really tender parts are what is affected, similar to cold temp die-off.

This is my thought as well from the appearance it looks like frost burn. If this is the case simply prune off the dead leaflet and the plants will be fine.

Back