Aging Beer for a NOOB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeasst

Reaction score
I figured this was the place to post this since this is where all the trading goes on. I'm wanting to get into aging beer and I need a little guidance on where to start and what beers age well. I'm a huge fan of porters and stouts which from my understanding age well do to the darker malts used.

Where would you start and what advice would you give to an aging noob?

Can't honestly say I know a ton about it. However, I usually age anything over 11% or so. With the exception of most IPAs, due to loss of flavor/aroma. Usually my big stouts, or barleywines I age for a while. The seem to get really good at 6-12 months.

I would think if you're just doing run of the mill porters and stouts (<6% abv) you'll still see an improvement in flavor, but I wouldn't think letting it go for a year or two would really be beneficial considering time invested.

Just my 2 cents.

Usually High alcohol beers will get smoother over time and allow other flavors to come through but hops and some spices will mellow out. I generally will age imperial stouts, most barrel aged beers and some sour beers. As far as I understand there is no real rule about time frame... only suggestions because every beer ages differently. If i can I buy several and age them all, trying one a year. I have a beverage fridge that i keep at 55 degrees and use it for my cellar. There are some articles on the web about aging beers but generally rich, heavy and complex beers are a good place to start. Also you could probably talk to the brewery and see if they have any recommendations on aging their beer. do keep in mind, as some point there are diminishing returns.

If you've never had purposely aged beer before I'd recommend one of two things to start out. The slow way would be to buy a case of something that ages well, big stouts and barleywine's being the most common. Taste fresh, and then continue pulling them out on occasion. Once a month is a good idea as you'll probably not notice anything real early, but as you get about halfway through the case you'll typically start to notice the difference. Some beers improve, some beers degrade. Many factors are out of your control. All you can do is keep them cool and away from light and hope for the best.

Option two is usually more expensive and you'll learn less. That is to find a bottle shop that cellars and sells aged beers. Finding one beer with multiple vintages, even if it's only the fresh one and last years will give you an idea of what aging might do for that beer.

In general, I find most beers to be best enjoyed fresh. I like age on some beers, but for me it's more fun to taste the beer as it ages. I don't think I'd ever age something purposely that I didn't have a few bottles of.

Back