Ageing Beer, Gelatin and Bottling Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRusty

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just racked an Old Ale that I plan on ageing in the secondary for at least 6 months before I bottle. Brewed with Nottingham. With most of my beers I cold crash and fine with gelatin. If I am to age the beer that long and then bottle, I would expect I need to add more yeast. My question is: when bottling time comes around, would adding fresh yeast AND gelatin AND cold crashing be kind of pointless? The fresh yeast would be dropped out by the gelatin and cold crashing. If that is the case, is there any way I can both fine my beer and ensure there is enough yeast for bottle carbonation?

I realise Notty flocs well but I find gelatin sorts out any chill haze too (which I seem to get a bit of - as a extract/partial brewer).

Thanks for your help.

When it is time to bottle I would cold crash, gelatin fine, and then use EC 1118 yeast at bottling. Rehydrate 1/2 pack of 1118 in 100ml of 90 degree water. Let proof for 15 minutes then stir into the beer with your priming sugar.

Back