Agave nectar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skou

Reaction score
Has anyone used agave nectar in a recipe? I found 4 gallons of
white and amber nectar for $12.50 each. (Half the usual price.)

I've been using it as an adjunct in cider or mead recipes, and it
is pretty good tasting. I can get 46 ounce paper cartons of
apple juice, every so often, at the same store I got the Agave,
for 99 cents. 2.5 of them, plus a cup of agave, fills my 1 gallon
test fermenter up quite well.

Anyone done larger batches?

Anyone tried agave nectar?

steve

Its just a sugar source. My only concern would be if it is 100% agave or if its got sugar as a filler like some cheap honey does. But I've used cheap honey knowing that it probably wasn't pure much the same as you did as a gravity booster without any notable problems.

Knowing only it's price, it may not be the highest quality. Given the quantity that you have, I would do a 1gal batch. Its nutrition is probably similar to honey so I'd use a mead recipe.

This stuff is pure agave nectar. It usually sells for
$25 at that store, and $40 or so retail.

I'll try a straight mead recipe, using the agave,
instead of honey.

steve

This stuff is pure agave nectar.
I hear what you are saying, but there are not strict FDA regulations on labeling of honey or maple syrup. Even less regulation on agave and similar nectars. There have been several studies (some referenced on this forum) talking about alternative sugars (sucrose, corn syrup, dextrose) added to honey and similar sweetening agents to increase the manufacturer profit margins or lower costs for the consumer.

Does anyone happen to know of an agave product I could buy to make an agave wine that tastes like tequila?

Does anyone happen to know of an agave product I could buy to make an agave wine that tastes like tequila?
I have tasted fermented Agave. It's tastes nothing like tequila tastes as the spirit. That said. I see Agave at Winco foods here in Nor Cal in bulk. I imagine in Ohio there are grocers that sell it too.

Cheers
Jay

I have tasted fermented Agave. It's tastes nothing like tequila tastes as the spirit. That said. I see Agave at Winco foods here in Nor Cal in bulk. I imagine in Ohio there are grocers that sell it too.

Cheers
Jay
I wonder whether the agave wine that becomes tequila tastes like tequila.

It would be great to be able to make agave wine with that flavor.

I wonder whether the agave wine that becomes tequila tastes like tequila.

It would be great to be able to make agave wine with that flavor.
I'm not a tequila connoisseur. I like a good anejo, occasionally will have a reposado. Pass every time on blanco.

I went to a wine&spirit tasting put on by a distribution company a few years ago. One of the tequila vendors was talking up their product. Blanco is neutral distilled. Reposado is oaked up to a year, anejo is year+ (may be incorrect on aging times, but you get the point.)

From a hb/winemaker prospective, I agree to taste every step of the process. From a consumer prospective, I want a finished product (unless I'm buying "futures").

I'm not quite sure of my point (after work buzz going on) but like a good red wine, oak aging tequila is what gives it the characteristics I desire.

Back