Adventures in Brewing in China

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laowaibrewer91

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

First time poster, and first time brewer. To give you a little background, a good buddy and I recently graduated college and both were looking at going to law school. Having both done dissapointingly not as well as we anticipated on the law school entrance exam we decided to take a year off and teach English abroad. We got plugged in with a program that was advertized on campus and here we are a few months after the fact in central China living life, teaching English, learning Chinese, and making friends.

China's great. I couldn't live here permanately (love America too much), but I'm enjoying my time. Having said that the beer is terrible. If you're not familiar with Chinese beer, just imagine an American light lager, but with less flavor and alcohol (typically around 2.5%ABV). So... closer to water than beer. The highlight of my beer drinking went from the finest craft breweries my home state of California had to offer to drinking Tsing Tao or Chinese-made Pabst with nary a thing resembling a hoppy or flavorful beer to be found.

My buddy and I have lived in this sad state of terrible, watery beer now for two full months. Both of us like good beer, and both of us really want to get into homebrewing when we get back to the States in June. In a fit of genius so grand it could have only been driven by boredom we decided we should at least try and make some rudimentary beer while we're here. I mean, hey, maybe we can get our hands on some simple grains here and brew up something basic for the hell of it? Plus, a lot of traditional Chinese herbs and tea ingredients that are really cheap and commonly found would make excellent add-ins (dried lemon slices, lemon grass, etc). I figgured that I could get my hands on most of what I need in terms of equipment locally, and could likely make what I couldn't find (ie. wort chiller).

This prompted a quick search of Taobao, the Chinese version of Ebay. To our surprise there are several suppliers of grain and hops, each with an ok selection of both. Extracts are a no go from what I can tell, so it looks like we're gonna jump right into to all-grain homebrews, which should be an adventure to say the least.

We're in the process of acquiring a basic brewing rig, which I'll post more on when we get it completely set up. For the time being I've yet to figure out what we're going to use for a mash tun. It would be relatively simple if I could find a large igloo (ala John Palmer's book How to Brew), but I don't know if that will be possible. I'm thinking I might go with a 2 bucket system (one bucket with holes in in the bottom set in another bucket, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm also not entirely sure how I'm going to get my hands on a hydrometer. And, lastly it looks like we'll be bottling and bottle conditioning. I have zero hopes in terms of getting my hands on kegging equipment. Plus, I think we're likely going to have to leave most of this stuff here when we go home in June, hopefully for the next foreign teacher to enjoy. I'd rather not buy a full kegging rig and then leave it behind.

I wanted to write this post to a) introduce myself b) look for advice and c) get your recipie suggestions for a simple all-grain pale ale. A quick search showed that I could easily get 2-row, rye, and barley as well as others I'm sure. Hop selection isn't huge, but definitely big enough to work with I think.

Can't wait to start brewing, and am looking forward to seeing your advice.

A good friend of mine works for a brewing supply company over in china... could give you his email to contact him

I read a thread on here about 6 months or so ago about brewing in China (I took interest in it because I lived in Shanxi, Datong for two years [1999-2001]). One poster chimed in that he's a supplier in China. I'm sure he'd either have access to the equipment for fairly standard mash-tuns or could make some great recommendations for substitutions.

Search the forum and I'm sure the thread will come up.

Good luck!

If you see a short guy with black hair, tell him Andy said hi!

Rather than invest in too much equipment that you potentially would have to leave behind, I would suggest that you use the Brew In A Bag method of all-grain brewing. The only equipment you'll need will be an 8 to 10 gallon kettle, a bag large enough to hold the water-soaked grain and a chiller of some kind (home-made immersion chiller is perfect).

I spent 4 months traveling through China last year. First phrase I learned was "Ye da ping pijiou!". Drank plenty of Yanjing, Dali, Snow, Harbin and of course Tsingtao.

I met American and Dutch expats in Dali that had started a small micro. They had a pale ale and a brown ale that was mediocre by American standards, but was amazing compared to Chinese beer (served room temp most of the time, for those of you not familiar with weak fizzy Chinese beer). I had a hard time paying the 60 kuai they wanted for a pint when they also sold the "regular" stuff in their pub for ~10. But after not having a good beer in a while, of course I had several. ;)

Good luck with your home brewing adventures!

Mike Sherretz is the supplier here in China. He's an excellent brewer and a great guy, but his stuff is really pricey. I got my start with equipment and an extract kit from him, but I only buy specialty stuff from him now. PM me if you want his contact info.

I've been brewing here in China for a year now, Taobao is definitely your friend. My top shop is Manpin Pijiu - they carry everything you need to get started - I get most of my grains, hops, and yeast there, plus that's where I got my chiller, capper, and other miscellaneous equipment - including hydrometers (beware, they're super fragile - buy at least two, odds are one of them will break in transit or as you're opening the packaging). There's another shop that sells mash tun liners that make decent (if somewhat easily-ruined) BIAB bags (my recommendation - it cuts down on equipment as you're doing everything in one big pot - 35x35cm is perfect for 5-6 gallon batches and will only set you back a bit over 100 kuai), plus most of the other usual suspects - I also buy my iodaphor from them, though you could get it from a pharmacy as well. Finally, PC Homebrew has some higher-quality imported ingredients and equipment if you need something special.

Incidentally, you found rye malt? Mind if I ask where you found that? I haven't seen it anywhere myself.

You might want to also consider mead (honey wine). Very simple and doesn't require much of anything. Made with beer yeast I've seen it can be ready enough in a month.

A rye pale ale is what got me into doing a partial mash. Rye is awesome!

Can you get crystal/caramel malts?

Can you get US-05 yeast? What options do you have?

Free online brew calculator, as well as many other necessary calculators:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/

A rye pale ale is what got me into doing a partial mash. Rye is awesome!

Can you get crystal/caramel malts?

Can you get US-05 yeast? What options do you have?

Free online brew calculator, as well as many other necessary calculators:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/

Thanks for pointing me toward that beer calculator. I really wasn't to keen on dropping $30 for Beersmith.

As far as malts go, it appears that I can get most major varieties of malts. There are several big homebrew shops on Taobao, each with good selections. Where the other one stops carrying stuff the other starts. When that all fails, a quick search usually finds what I'm looking for from a random seller. I was actually able to find caramel malt extract. Didn't think I would be able to find it, but low and behold I did.

As far as I can tell the same applies with yeast. If they don't have a specific strain/malt then there is usually something close enough to substitute.

Incidentally, you found rye malt? Mind if I ask where you found that? I haven't seen it anywhere myself.

Thanks for the advice!

I was able to get Rye by searching for "Rye Malt" on Taobao. You should get two results, one claims to be "Rye Malt" and the other letter for letter claims to be "Barlely Rye Caramel Malt." The second seems a little dubious at best. The first option (what I suspect to be actual Rye) is 16RMB/ Kilo with 15RMB shipping.

Also, I noticed that you're in Wuhan? I'm not too far down the road in Xiangyang (Xiangfan depending on the map). I was in Wuhan a few weeks ago.

After reading up a little on BIAB, I think we're definitely gonna give it a go. Sounds simple enough.

Where are you based in China. You can get good craft beer in a few places. The Chinese actually have a craft beer magazine which lists a lot of brew pubs and even others vouchers.

If your in xiangfan your pretty stuffed. Your close enough to go to wudangshan for a day trip though. I recommend it

Thanks for the advice!

I was able to get Rye by searching for "Rye Malt" on Taobao. You should get two results, one claims to be "Rye Malt" and the other letter for letter claims to be "Barlely Rye Caramel Malt." The second seems a little dubious at best. The first option (what I suspect to be actual Rye) is 16RMB/ Kilo with 15RMB shipping.

Also, I noticed that you're in Wuhan? I'm not too far down the road in Xiangyang (Xiangfan depending on the map). I was in Wuhan a few weeks ago.

After reading up a little on BIAB, I think we're definitely gonna give it a go. Sounds simple enough.

Nice - I'd never run into either of those shops, but they both look pretty good. New Taobao homebrew shops seem to be springing up quickly, which means good things for the hobby in China.

I've known people who have worked there or come from there, but I've never been to Xiangyang/Xiangfan myself - used to live a couple hours south in Jingzhou, but I've been here in Wuhan since 2008. Shoot me a PM if you need any guidance or whenever you next come to Wuhan and need a decent brew.

I'm thinking were going to go for something a little like this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/lake-walk-pale-ale-32939/

I can get everything except the Crystal 60. Any one have recomendations for a simmilar common substitute? Also might have to tweak the yeast a little. It looks like I can get plenty of Ale type yeasts on Taobao.

Crystal 60 - http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.w4004-2106248475.14.0Tuq9D&id=18711451164

US-05 yeast is readily available here as well. Same shop:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.w4004-2106248475.24.0Tuq9D&id=18812691262

In fact, you can get almost everything in the recipe at that shop, along with most of your equipment needs as well. You would have to toast the pale malt yourself (in an oven or even in a dry wok), and the wheat flakes would have to be replaced by wheat malt if you don't buy them elsewhere, but everything else is available there.

Latest posts

Back