Adjust recipes using a hop bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drifted88

Reaction score
I use a nylon bag from wilser brewer for my hop additions. Should I be adding x% more hops to my recipes because i take them out of the pot as soon as I turn the heat off? I’m curious what kind of difference dumping the pellets directly in the wort makes compared to in a nylon bag.

Shouldn’t be necessary if you think the hops are having reasonable wort contact. If any difference exists, it would likely be flavor/aroma that is altered, not perceived bitterness. The only way to tell for sure is brewing more beer!

as long as you're boiling for the duration that is needed to get the IBU's you're going for you should be fine. It's almost the same as cooling the wort down as soon as the boil is done. The only time it would be an issue is if the recipe calls for WP (whirlpool) hop additions which you'd want to leave in for anywhere from 10-20 minutes before pulling out/cooling down.

Back