Fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stubbq

Reaction score
Ok guys I'm wanting to brew my very first batch but have no where that is really cool in between 68-75 so what do you guys think I should do. Could I put a fan in the closet with the fermenter and try that

I have zero space in my garage I use a big galvanized container and add frozen soda bottles... its a little hassle but works

image-2148598118.jpg

Ok that's a good idea oh by the way it's only going to be 1 gallon so I could do it like that in the closet to it will work out good thanks for advice

I used to use The tub of water and ice or frozen bottles it works great. I also put a t shirt over it that wicks water over it. You could also blow the fan over the t shirt to cool it. The big tub of water works as a thermal mass, It take a lot longer for the room temperature to change the temp in the carboy if your house temperature changes often

I think everything above is good advice. What yeast are using for this batch- they vary in the temp extremes they can handle.

Ideally for ales you want your FERMENT temp to be in the 60s, not just the air temp. If you can start in the low 60s and let it rise to the upper 60s that will be great for most ales. Ambient air temp is generally going to measure lower than the temp of the fermenting wort/beer because all the yeast activity raises the temp inside your bucket/carboy. The tub of water/tshirt/ice etc methods are decent ways to maintain lower temps.

For instance, I brewed a batch this week and have a probe inside the fermentor, and another in the airspace near it. On day 3 the ambient air temp was 59 degrees while the wort was 68! So if my ambient air temp was 68 the fermentation temp could have reasonably been in the 75-80 degree range, which is bound to produce off flavors with the yeast I was using. By the time yeast activity stopped, the air temp and the ferment temp equaled out at 68.

Don't skimp on your fermentation- it took me a few batches to figure out that it is the most important part of making beer! The boil is glamorous, but actually pretty hard to screw up. Proper fermentation is the way to make great beer. Good luck!

Ok I think I will try that way I have to look at the kit and see what yeast it's a Irish red ale

Latest posts

Back