Ginger Pale Ale recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skatermxracer

Reaction score
Hey guys, my brother in law is coming to visit over memorial day. He put in request for a possible IPA with ginger. I think I have enough time yet so i'm going to try to throw something together and brew this weekend. I'm thinking a pale ale would be better as an IPA might over power the ginger as far as the hops. So i figured for something better balanced I'd try to stick with a Pale Ale. Going to try for a 2.5 gallon BIAB style recipe just in case it doesn't turn out well. Here is the recipe idea I've come up with.

Boil Size: 4.31 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.56 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.91 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.69 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 5.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 42.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 76.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
5 lbs 2.8 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US
14.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
3.2 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
3.2 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)

Hop Schdule

0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - First Wort
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min

0.60 oz Ginger Root (Boil 0.0 mins)

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 6 lbs 8.0 oz
Mash @ 148 for 90 mins

Let me know what you guys think. Also i'm considering "dry hopping" with ginger in the secondary.

My $0.02 If you want to taste the ginger use a lot more. whirlpool is fine. The dry hop seems like a waste. Use like a half a root, chopped in quarter-size pieces.

Not sure about the synergy with cascade. I would leave a little sweetness in the beer to enjoy the hops and the ginger.

Ive used almost a lb of ginger spread throughout the boil (in a 2.5 gal batch). I peeled the root and cut it into large chunks, threw roughly even portions at 60, 20,5, and 0, plus another 4 or so oz in the dryhop. It came out super delicious, lots of ginger flavor with low heat. This was an amber ale, that i hopped with c-type hops. Ginger definitely came out more than the hops!

Glad to see other going the ginger pale ale route! I brewed a 5 gal batch with:

9# 2-row
1#victory
.5# red wheat

I used a little amarillo at the start of my late additions, and all citra going forward. Half ounce of citra and amarillo in the dry hop. I used 3 oz of peeled, sliced ginger @15. My next batch will have half as much in the boil, and I'll have a 2oz citra dry hop. Everything else in your beer is going to compete with the ginger. I suspect that even being modest with it, it will still be bright and present.

I would entertain the idea of sorachi ace with the ginger pale ale combo. I think it would probably be awesome. Think about it.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated.

Back