At what temp does cold break form?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I'm wondering how a hop stand affects cold break. I can get it down to 180* really fast. Really, really fast actually. And after the hop stand, I can finish chilling pretty quickly too. Does cold break form above 180*, below, or across that temp range?

It's actually really easy for me to overshoot my cooling, and hit 160* before I even know it. Wondering if a hop stand in that range effects cold break too.

That's exactly what I needed, thanks Revvy. So cold break will form during rapid chilling below the hop stand temps.

If you're doing your hop stand at 180º, then yes.

But at that high of a temp, you'll still be boiling off a lot of the myrcene.

If you're doing your hop stand at 180º, then yes.

But at that high of a temp, you'll still be boiling off a lot of the myrcene.

So does that imply that you do not think hop stands are very affective? Or do you just suggest doing them at a lower temp than 180?

http://beerlegends.com/myrcene-oil

according to this, it boils off at 147 (myrcene). there are other compounds that don't boil off until 210 or so, so I guess it's just how much of what hop oil compounds you want remaining from your hop stand, as well as what varieties you're using.

So does that imply that you do not think hop stands are very affective? Or do you just suggest doing them at a lower temp than 180?
I was not implying or suggesting anything. Just stating what I believe to be a fact.

Personally, I've done my hop stands in the 125-130 range and have been very happy with the results. However, I have not experimented with other temperature ranges. I based my temperatures only on what I've read.

It's nice to see that opinion. Admittedly, I haven't spent much effort researching hop stand technique. I do recall seeing it thrown out that you want to get below 180*. That's probably about the upper threshold for vaporization of the myriad hop oils, not sure which ones are that high though. Some, like myrcene, must be lower. I always assumed you wanted to keep it above pasteurization temps though, say 160-165*. Maybe I'll try a lower temp next time, as you suggest.

Back