Advice on Flander's red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingfinbar

Reaction score
I'm all over the place. I've managed to procure some interesting wild yeast/bacteria blends, and I'm diving headlong into the wild ale thing. Here's my proposed grain bill for a flanders red:

Batch size: 5.4 gal
Yeast: ECY bugfarm
SRM: 11,7
IBU: 14.7
Anticipated OG: 1.052
anticipated ABV: 6%
Efficiency: 80%

3lb Munich 9l 27.3%
2lb 2 row 18.2%
1lb flaked wheat 9.1%
1lb flaked rye 9.1%
1lb flaked corn 9.1%
1lb rye malt 9,1%
.5lb caramunich 4.6%
.25lb special b 2.3%
.22lb acid malt 2%
1lb rice hulls 9.1%

1oz Saaz 4%AA @60minutes

I figure with a highish mash, somewhere around 155, and all the flaked adjuncts, the bugs will have a lot to work on over the year or so that it will be aging. The reason why I went so hard on the rye is I've fallen in love with The Bruery's Sour in the Rye. According to their site/bottle, they use 40% rye...this isn't nearly as over the top with rye, but there should still be some rye presence in the product.

Any thoughts/advice on the recipe?

Too many flaked adjuncts?

Too complex?

Does the ease of a higher mash offset the final product of a multi step mash? For the record, I will be BIAB'ing the batch.

Anything and everything is greatly appreciated!

I would kill the flaked rye and flaked corn and add more rye malt if you really want that flavor. My understanding is that the best practice is to primary with a neutral ale strain (001, 1056), let that finish out then transfer to secondary and add the bugs then. They will eat up a lot more than beer yeast so dont worry too much about giving them extra fermentables. Just give them a whole lotta age.

Back