Skeeter Pee boo-boo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibbones

Reaction score
No, it's not that kind of boo-boo where I drank 15 bottles and then tried to jump through a flaming hoop on the highway, I think I screwed up.
I made my batch and had it on the old yeast cake and it was doing really good. Took my readings a few days later and right down to 1.050 so I went to add my second batch of lemon juice and the goodies for the yeast.
I picked up my Diammonium Phosphate and Potassium Metabisulphate out of my cubby of different chemicals and added them in the right amount. Two days later I am not seeing any signs of fermentation and realize that I didn't add yeast "energizer". I added "Death to all yeast".

Is there any way to fix this of do I need to cut my losses and get some more lemon juice and sugar?

Well here is what I would try. I would first add appropriate energizer that is now missing. I would use a wine whip (commercial or coat hanger variety) and whip the heck out of this must 2 - 3 times a day for 48 hours. If fermentation does not pick up the whip out the big guns.

Make a stepped up starter of lalvin ec-1118:

2 cups water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 tsp dap
Sprinkle yeast on top.

This should be 2 1/4 cup volume to start. Let that sit for 2 hours to start the yeast working. After that add 1/2 cup of SP must. Wait another two hours. If fermentation still looks active then add another 1/2 cup of must. If fermentation looks to die down the whip it up with a fork and wait another 2 hours. Repeat all this till you have about 4 1/4 cups of liquid starter. Pitch that into the must and continue vigorous aeration and in the next 48 hours it should be rolling along.

How much k-meta did you use? Wine yeast are amazingly tolerant of sulfites, but if you added what you thought was yeast energizer I'm guessing it was like a teaspoon or something like that? If so, that's about 20 times a dose that I'd normally use so I could see fermentation stopping.

One thing that helps is stirring- you want to dissipate all of the excess sulfite. Stir three or four times a day to see if you can get rid of the sulfite. In the meantime, get another yeast starter going as above.

Thanks for the help. I added three teaspoons of it and later, pitched another packet of yeast. I will keep stirring and make another starter. I hate to scrap it for one careless mistake.

Back