Sam Adams: Third Voyage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayfound

Reaction score
OK, so I want to talk about this beer.

Let me first explain myself a bit: I'm not really an IPA drinker. I do find some DIPAs to be a little better balanced, and tend to like them more. I love belgians.

I want to say all that to let you know: I like beers that are more malt-forward. I'm not a hop-head by any stretch of the imagination. There's many an IPA I just can't drink.

Now, Third Voyage:

My BIL brought over a few bottles from a SA variety pack, and this was one of them. He's a hop head, we both thought the aroma and head on this beer was awesome.

Neither one of us could drink it. It was so syrupy sweet, sickly and cloying, I just don't understand. I mean, I am a guy that likes low bitterness beers... belgian dubbels and quads, etc - but I guess my tastes really run towards Dry.

Since we weren't drinking it, I decided to try and take a FG on it. I shook the sample a few times to get rid of what carbonation I could. 1.024 FG. This seems bonkers high to me, and certainly explains the cloying to some degree.

What say you?

Now, Third Voyage:

What say you?

I think Sam Adams is having a problem right now.
I have the same cloying almost sticky flavor from a sixpack of boston lager yesterday. Its not the best beer but it was definitely wrong this time.

That's about as far from an IPA as you can get! I will need to get a variety pack to try this. Even if I don't drink it ill get a bottle I can use.

The span of reviews on BA is interesting in itself - and gives me the cover to admit I enjoyed this brew out of the Hopology packs a month or so back...

Cheers!

my brother brought a 6'er of sa summer ale down last weekend. it was supposed to be "refreshing", but i found it to be "cloying"

Well SA does do things a bit differently when it comes to fermenting their beer. Apparently, from what I've been told (by a higher up in SA) they intentionally crash cool their beer at, or right before they hit their desired terminal gravity to stop the yeast and hit their desired FG. Doing this leaves unfermented simple/fermentable sugars still in suspension, which means the beer is underattenuated and sweeter (b/c you can taste these sugars compared to longer chain unfermentable dextrins).

I'm not totally sure I believe it, but I honestly do taste a slight sweetess in the finish of most of the SA beers I've had...so I dunno!

The span of reviews on BA is interesting in itself - and gives me the cover to admit I enjoyed this brew out of the Hopology packs a month or so back...

Cheers!

BA reviews confused me. Guys were saying it isn't malty enough... like, seriously? This beer confuses me greatly, and makes me wonder if it was just a bad batch... like if there is some way a batch gets through their system mashed high, underattenuated, something??

1.024 seems obviously high FG, no?

I think this was one of the weaker beers in the Hopology pack. I was completely blown away by the Whitewater IPA so that this beer was destined to be a let down after that.

It did taste too sweet, the hop profile was funky as well. 1.024? that doesn't sound right for an ipa.

The Tasman Red was pretty darn good as well. The Grumpy Monk was awesome. I remember liking the Latitude 48 in the past, but it seemed flavorless among these bigger beers.

I was really excited when i bought the Hopology pack last year and saw there was a "Double IPA" in there. I was incredibly confused when I tasted it. For me that was definitely one of the worst in the pack. I love Grumpy Monk, though, I wish they would release that by itself.

I find that SA is really hit or miss. Boston Lager is a good beer and their Brick Red, Oktoberfest, Summer Ale, and Holiday Porter are usually good too. But they never seem to be happy with nailing down a solid rotation - they're always mixing things up. Which is good in theory, but I think they're putting out beers that would be better served as something in their tasting room. They're focusing more on turning out quantity of different beers every year or two instead of focusing on a solid seasonal rotation.

I didn't care for the third voyage but I am not a fan of IIPAs. But I do know that I liked grumpy monk even less. Is that what a Belgian beer tastes like?

Third Voyage is a vile beer and it should be it's last voyage. I'd rather have a bud light. Seriously.

I guess I expected more. I did read I good article about the history of it. Which was the main reason I bought it.

Yup that exact article. Then a few months later I walked by a display of it and said no way. Then bought it

Has anyone tried the New Albion Ale? IMO it was okay.

Russian River had it on tap when I went for Younger. I thought it was decent, but wasn't really blown away. I'm sure for the time it was so different from anything else on the market that it was really amazing, though.

ktblunden said:
Russian River had it on tap when I went for Younger. I thought it was decent, but wasn't really blown away. I'm sure for the time it was so different from anything else on the market that it was really amazing, though.

Yeah I can see that.

Back