Fermoire! Fermentation chamber build!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maussy

Reaction score
I was in need of a fermentation chamber and got a lot of good info on this forum. I wanted something that looked like it belonged in my house because I don't have a garage right now and am renting. I picked up an Armoire. Figured I could get 2 10 gal fermenters in there. I gutted an old 5 foot tall fridge with external coils. I stored the temp controller in the lower shelf. All I need now is a couple fans and a heat source. I was thinking about using a 100 W light bulb, what's everyone's thoughts?

photo(35).jpg

photo(34).jpg

photo(32).jpg

photo(28).jpg

photo(33).jpg

I will work on the photos today. I didn't know how to rotate them at the time of posting. There will be some more photos up later today.

Just a thought from an old carpenter, but just wait until the humidity from the condensation gets in between the wood and the insulation. Let the fun with warpage and mold begin! You might try sealing the whole inside of the armoire with spar varnish or thinned epoxy before fitting your insulation panels.

I didn't think of that. I will have a dehumidifier inside to control some of the condensation. Everything is already glued in so it may be hard to varnish now. Do you think a dehumidifier will help with that?

Won't hurt, but the problem is that most of the foam board acts as a vapor barrier and it's the moisture on the outside of the foam that can become a problem. Think of a glass of iced tea with the condensation rolling down the outside. I'm not saying that you will have a problem, but you could. I would just caulk the joints well at this point and hope for the best.

I've wanted to gut a full size fridge for a while now to make a custom kegerator cabinet for under my bar. I didn't think it was as easy as you've shown. I always thought that there was coolant lines running through the side walls of the fridge. And then the evaporator was located on the inside connected to the coolant lines. Seems like it would be a pain in the ass. Is there more to the process than you've shown?

I've wanted to gut a full size fridge for a while now to make a custom kegerator cabinet for under my bar. I didn't think it was as easy as you've shown. I always thought that there was coolant lines running through the side walls of the fridge. And then the evaporator was located on the inside connected to the coolant lines. Seems like it would be a pain in the ass. Is there more to the process than you've shown?

Bear in mind his fridge was an older one with the hot side coils at the back, exposed. A newer fridge will have them in the walls like you think, and gutting a full size fridge with coils in the walls would be horribly un-fun.

Ya I lucked out and got this older style fridge from a friend. I would not try it with a new fridge. I have seen it done and it doesn't look fun. All I had to do was cut the top off of the fridge (with a angle grinder) and pull the freezer box up and out. Only takes a few minutes with an old style fridge like this.

Back