Adding Pump to Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abandonhope16

Reaction score
Have a quick question.... I was thinking of adding a pump to an immersion chiller. The idea being that you can have a submersible pump in ice water to get colder water to run through the immersion chiller (I'm sure its been done). My question is how powerful of a pump is required? Something like a 1/4 HP seems like it would be overkill. TIA

Checkout the cheap pond pumps at harbor freight. I picked up a 260 gph pump for around $15 and stick that in a plastic tub that I fill with ice water.

I figured go big or go home, I got this 1800GPH from Amazon for about $50:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X05G1A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Works great for my 50' immersion chiller, just a few inches of water and 10lbs of ice cubes in my ice chest cools the wort to pitching temp in 15-20 minutes.

I'm also going to use the pump in the carboy/keg washer I'm currently building.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. I was basically back and forth b/n what you guys are using, but wasnt sure if one is too weak vs the other being too strong. Seems like both are viable options.

I figured go big or go home, I got this 1800GPH from Amazon for about $50:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X05G1A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Works great for my 50' immersion chiller, just a few inches of water and 10lbs of ice cubes in my ice chest cools the wort to pitching temp in 15-20 minutes.

I'm also going to use the pump in the carboy/keg washer I'm currently building.

I agree, but if you have a harbor freight nearby, http://www.harborfreight.com/35-horsepower-dirty-water-pump-with-float-switch-69298.html

There is even an upgrade to 1 HP for a bit more.

Find a 20% off or 25% off coupon, ask a friend/family member that shops there, they will know how to get one or have one already.

I use this pump to circulate ice water through my huge plate chiller, same to run hottish cleaning water and sanitizer through my march, chiller, and through keggle ports.

It also has a home in my carboy/keg washer as well.

The power and not having to worry like a march pump make it very valuable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a quick question.... I was thinking of adding a pump to an immersion chiller. The idea being that you can have a submersible pump in ice water to get colder water to run through the immersion chiller (I'm sure its been done). My question is how powerful of a pump is required? Something like a 1/4 HP seems like it would be overkill. TIA

This has been done, and many people do this. The consensus is that you run regular water through the chiller (without the pump and ice bath) until you get down to what the water temperature is (input of the water). This will bring down the wort temps quite a bit, and will not cost a fortune in ice. Then, after the initial temp is knocked down to what your input water temp is (or there about), you would add the pump and ice bath. This will bring the temp down further and closer to pitching temp.

I hope that this helps.

Mark

Agreed, tap water is all that's necessary until you get down to under 100, then switching over to the ice water makes the most difference.

I originally bought a pond pump at Lowe's and honestly the Harbor Freight is pretty similar in power for about 1/4 the cost. I have a HF one for a different purpose now.

I agree, but if you have a harbor freight nearby, http://www.harborfreight.com/35-horsepower-dirty-water-pump-with-float-switch-69298.html

There is even an upgrade to 1 HP for a bit more.

Find a 20% off or 25% off coupon, ask a friWwwend/family member that shops there, they will know how to get one or have one already.

I use this pump to circulate ice water through my huge plate chiller, same to run hottish cleaning water and sanitizer through my march, chiller, and through keggle ports.

It also has a home in my carboy/keg washer as well.

The power and not having to worry like a march pump make it very valuable.

Wouldn't want the float switch that is built into the HF pump, one more thing to worry about that doesn't do anything for my applications. Seems like the pump got sketchy reviews on their site as well.

Back