Adding Orange Zest and Coriander

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monsterbrewma

Reaction score
I am getting ready to transfer my Bavarian Hefenweizen to secondary. Is it too late to add orange zest and coriander to the secondary by dry hopping, or will it take on odd flavors. I was thinking on adding the zest of 3 oranges and 1/2 oz coriander. Do I grate the zest off the oranges and put it in a hop bag, or peel off the zest and drop it directly in the secondary for two weeks? Also should I leave out the coriander at this point or add it?

Any opinions are appreciated!

Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me, I couldn't get my pw reset yesterday. I wanted to add it for some extra orange flavor, and the coriander for the pepper taste that will bring out the orange flavor.
The yeast is a White Labs Hefeweizen Ale WLP300.

I wouldn't add anything to a hefe that has the WLP300 yeast. That beer will be chock full of banana/clove flavors as it is and adding orange zest and coriander will just muddle it up (in my opinion).

Save the orange/coriander for an wheat recipe with a neutral yeast.

I have been doing some reading on it, and that sounds like a good suggestion. I was thinking I could spice up the recipe a little. I won't mess with it. Thanks for the tips!

I agree... do this with a different batch with wheat. If you use bottles (instead of keg) you could do as suggested (boil/steep and strain) and somewhere towards the end of bottling add this to the bucket and bottle a few "testers" to see if you like the flavor. Not too much though. Make sure to label the tester bottles.

Well the coriander won't really give you a pepper character, it'll give you a coriander flavor. It sounds like you're trying to make a beer that's both a hefe and a witbier.

I thought those ingredients were normally late kettle additions. My wife's favorite beer is Hoegaarden so I will definitely be brewing some witbier in the future. Also interested in the use of these things in the fermenter.

This is a resurrected 8 year old thread, so i doubt the original players are seeing this, but....

IF one wanted to add those flavors to a beer post-ferment, one thing i would suggest is making a tincture.
For my split-batch gose, for example, I made two tinctures: 1) zested 3 limes and soaked in 3/4c tequila 2) zested 3 oranges and soaked (with 1oz coriander) in 3/4c vodka. Coriander lends a citrus flavor/aroma, btw.

I might make a tincture as a backup plan. I can sample when kegging and add some tincture if needed (might use some in a 1 gallon batch of cider too... just for kicks)

Back