Adding missing grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archthered

Reaction score
I'm making a milk oatmeal stout because someone asked. I created the recipe from my stock based on what I thought they'd like. On brew day I discovered my inventory was off and I only had half as much chocolate malt and roasted barely as I needed but I brewed anyway. As a result the beer came out a bit lighter than planned, though still within BJCP guidelines for the style. I was able to get the grain I need and was contemplating doing a steep/tea on the stove with the missing grain and then adding the water from that back to the beer, which is still in primary fermentation. I can't think of any reason not to do this but I was just curious what everyone else thought? I don't believe it will be quite the same as if I'd had the grains in the mash but I think I should get all the color and most of the flavor out of them this way.

I was able to get the grain I need and was contemplating doing a steep/tea on the stove with the missing grain and then adding the water from that back to the beer, which is still in primary fermentation. I can't think of any reason not to do this but I was just curious what everyone else thought?
I've added steeped malts post boil a couple of times for various reasons. The beer came out fine.

Pasteurization is your friend - when I do this, I bring the "grain tea" to a boil and cool it before adding it to the wort.

Last edited:
Ii think your risk is with possible oxidation. Try to add the "tea" without any splashing and I think you will be OK.

That will be fine. Just make sure you're clean about it and you cool it down good before you pitch it. As for oxidizing it, pour it nice and slow like RM-MN said. You're especially protected from O2 if you pitch it while its still fermenting because the CO2 the yeast are still making will push the O2 right out the airlock.

Back