"hot start" (68-65ºF) Lager yeast pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First of If you have not done this, please don't just chime in about Ale esters and off flavors from pitching lagar yeast too warm.

On Friday night I was judging southwest regional NHC with the owner of Lightning brewery here in San Diego. Had a great time judging with him, tons of good information regarding lager off flavor profiles and techniques for achieving a good clean lager flavor profile.

For me I 'm not the most well versed lager drinker or brewer, but I've brewed a few dozen lagers over the years, and have mainly followed i guess what is described as the Narziss method,
1.cool wort to ~32-35ºF
2.transfer off cold break
3. warm back up to 45-50ºF and pitch (1.25e6 cells/1ºplato)
4. hold at 50-55º till ~75-80% attenuation is reached
5. rack into keg and lager at 35-40ºF for 3-8 weeks till terminal gravity is reached.
6. Carbonate and enjoy.

Now what he was proposing, actually for me sounds like a great and very feasible protocol for Lager fermentation.

1. Cool wort to 60-65ºf and pitch (1.25e6 cells/1ºplato/ml)
2. allow fermentation to go at around 60º until a gravity of ~1.030 is reached
3. Rack beer into a keg with a pressure relief valve set to ~20psi.
4. reduce fermentation temperature to 50ºF till terminal gravity is reached.
5.Lower temperature to 32-40, and condition for 3-8 weeks.

from reading kai page on fermenting Lagers I think the key to getting a good clean fermentation is going to be having a good healthy pitch @1.25e6 cells/1ºplato/ml

Any one have any practical experience with making lager beers like this? I think Im going to give it a try on my next lager batch.

Back