Can I push my barleywine FG any lower?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmf143

Reaction score
I used a pack and a half of US-05 into a 4 1/4 gallon batch 5 weeks ago and its gone from 1.082 to 1.024 (70.7% attenuation). Will pitching another pack of yeast get it any lower? Hydro sample tasted sweet. How else can I get it to dry out? I mashed at 154.

jmf143 said:
I used a pack and a half of US-05 into a 4 1/4 gallon batch 5 weeks ago and its gone from 1.082 to 1.024 (70.7% attenuation). Will pitching another pack of yeast get it any lower? Hydro sample tasted sweet. How else can I get it to dry out? I mashed at 154.

More yeast could pull it a little bit lower. You could also try warming it up to the low 70s and swirling the carboy to get the yeast back into suspension.

You're really right on the money as far as FG goes according to the style profile. If those tricks above don't work and you're dead set on drying it out some more, you could add some table sugar. It's 100% fermentable so all it will do is pull the FG down and up the %abv.

Never tried it, but from what I've read and heard, if you just sprinkle dry yeast in there it will just sink to the bottom, dead. Too much alcohol already present for it to do anything. You could try to get it going in a starter and pitch the whole starter into the Bw at high krausen. Another option is to rack the BW onto a fresh yeast cake from a separate healthy fermentation. I have done this once and was able to get a few more points off of an ipa with a similar og of your BW. Or add some sugar (table is fine), added to a little boiling water to sanitize and make an easy-to-pour syrup. I would probably try that first. Of course your abv will go up, but no bad news there!

But all of these are band aids to what was probably too high a mash temp. With enough grain for a 1.082, you'll get plenty of body even at lower mash temps.

Or none of the above and just call it done. Maybe once it's carbed up it will be fantastic!

First I'd try rousing your current yeast cake and raising the ferment temp by a couple of degrees.

If your goal is a higher abv add some more sugar as others suggest.

If your goal is to dry out what you have, consider champagne yeast. It's a neutral yeast functional at high abv's.

BW being a long aging style before and after bottling its profile will change significantly over the next 6-12 months.

Back