Starter for bottling brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostfish

Reaction score
So I just got my Brett in the mail today after 5 days of shipping in HOT weather. I ordered it for the purpose of bottle conditioning some beers, so high cell count doesn't really matter to me, I just want to know if there are still viable yeast in the vial. Should I make a starter for a week or two first to make sure they aren't cooked, or just pitch right in? :mug:

How hot is hot? While still yeast, Brett does typically have some larger cohones that "normal" yeast.

If we're talking 80's, the Brett is fine for carbing up. It just may take longer than the usual longer to reach full carbonation. My bottle-with-Brett beers always stretch a couple of weeks if not longer to carb up, so you could be looking at 1-2 months before its ready, possibly longer.

A starter would prove viability, but wouldn't per se save you time. As it'll take the Brett a while to liven itself up anyway, then the slow carbonation if you're picking up what I'm putting down.

-Aaron

Hard to tell but I'd say no less than 100 degrees. FedEx was horrible this go around. I have no worries waiting months if I have to :) Thanks for the reply.

Back