Upgrading grain size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm about to upgrade to 50lb grain bags.
Any suggestions to what 3 base grains i should get to make the widest variety of beers? I did think about maybe 2 row but idk what else to choose

It depends on what you brew the most. I use mostly US 2-row, marris otter, and Vienna malt. I also use quite a bit of Munich malt and pilsner, but don't buy nearly as many sacks of them as the first three.

Yep, gotta think about what you'll be brewing. I tend to keep 2-row, MO, and Belgian pilsner in stock. It would take me forever to go through a big sack of Vienna.

I'm just gonna be making iPa's, pale ales and if possible maybe darker brew maybe a porter? but I know ill need to get the darker grains in smaller quantities

I'm just gonna be making iPa's, pale ales and if possible maybe darker brew maybe a porter? but I know ill need to get the darker grains in smaller quantities

If you are talking about American IPAs and APAs, then you could probably stick with just 2-Row. If you also want to make English styles IPAs and pales, you should get MO to use as a base for that. But that also depends on your style. I use a lot of Munich in my pales to add a malty backbone without adding sweetness (others use Vienna for the same purpose). If you are similar, you could probably use big bags of one of those two.

personally I'd go with 2 Row and MO, with a 10 pound bag of carapils. Only because I've started using it to help with body/head retention. I dont need a 50 pound bag but, i can easily justify a 10 pound bag.

Back