AbV on a blonde ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow99

Reaction score
I made mango blonde ale. But the AbV is at 1. I don’t know where I went wrong. I left in 1st ferment for 10 days. I thought it would’ve stronger.

I made mango blonde ale. But the AbV is at 1. I don’t know where I went wrong. I left in 1st ferment for 10 days. I thought it would’ve stronger.
Recipe and procedures would help us advise better.
How are you measuring ABV?

By a refractor and using brix. I used fresh purée mango in the 1st ferment I used a cloth bag.

Did you use an online calculator to figure that out? What were the original and final Brix that you measured?

If you tell us your recipe and such maybe we can help better but since you added fruit puree you've got some unfermented or unfermentable sugars that are keeping the gravity high. It probably needs more time to ferment out further but I wouldn't expect much. A starting gravity of 8 Brix isn't very high to start with and at best I think what you will end up with is 2 to 2.5% if you keep it in the fermentor for a couple more weeks.

Back