Galled Thread on HLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymurgist626

Reaction score
After testing my new Stainless HERMS HLT, I noticed a leak coming from the compression fitting. After removing the compression nut, I decided to back out the whole fitting from the S/S coupling that was welded in.

It turned about 1/4 to 1/2 turn and instead of getting easier, it got tougher to remove.. Now I can move it back and forth about 1/8 turn, but no farther in either direction...

Is the thread galled or is there still a way to work this out? Since it still moves, it makes me think it isn't a traditional galling. I got the product from Stainless Steel Brewing... it is the compression x MPT SS fitting. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion to salvage the coupling and/or fitting.

8737253792_48821b21da_b.jpg

As you can see, I did use teflon tap (about 3-4 wraps)... I've never experienced such a stuck thread as this.

how much torque have you applied in loosening it?

It will eventually come off.

how much torque have you applied in loosening it?

It will eventually come off.

As much force as I can put on a decent size craftman wrench. I haven't used any mechanical advantage yet... It doesn't make sense that it is this difficult.

Back