Summer Shandy Clone Recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bareinke

Reaction score
Hi,

First off, this batch is for the friends. I haven't been brewing for too long, but people have really enjoyed what I've produced so far. Now that spring break and summer are coming up, I have a lot of people requesting that I make a clone of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.

I was thinking that I should probably use an American Wheat beer or another light American style beer. I will be bottling this batch so force carbonating is not an option. I also want it to be pre-mixed at bottling so that people can't mess up the proportions and blame me (also because I don't want to bring a batch of lemonade around every time they want it). These are the possible routes I can take based on my current research:

1. Fully ferment the beer, add non-sugar lemonade mix packets to final product, add priming sugar, and bottle.
2. Ferment the beer with real lemonade (containing sugar) in the carboy, add priming sugar, and bottle.
3. Fully ferment the beer, add real lemonade (containing sugar) instead of priming sugar before bottling and bottle.

I'm sure that there are probably other options, so what do you suggest? I hope this will turn out to be a success, thanks for the help!

Look up Sharie's Summer Shandy in my recipes. Take that one & add an ounce or two of lemon zest the last 10 minutes of the boil as well.

I'm considering your #3 option: priming with lemonade. I was thinking of using frozen concentrated lemonade, but I'm wondering if it is too acidic for the yeast? Any thoughts?

Use lemon zest in the last 10 min of the boil then add an ounce or two of fresh lemonaid when serving. Use sorchi ace for your flavor hops. They are very lemon like. If you want to make it taste closer to the packaged drink mix type flavor of the leini's stuff try adding some country time in secondary or add a little that has been mixed ahead of time to the glass when serving.

Just drank the carb tester of my sweet tea lemonade shandy. At bottling I added a full 6.5g packet of unsweetened Kool Aid lemonade, 2 cups of sweet tea vodka, and two cap fulls of pure lemon extract. Not really a sweet beer but it tastes very good. I think I will mash at a much higher temp next time to keep some sweetness to go along with the tea and lemon notes.

I'm considering your #3 option: priming with lemonade. I was thinking of using frozen concentrated lemonade, but I'm wondering if it is too acidic for the yeast? Any thoughts?

If you do this, read the ingredients before you decide to use it. I had a lemon mead that I had to repitch yeast into 5 or 6 times to get to my FG because I did not read the ingredients on the back. There are some natural frozen concentrates, but most store and/or cheap brands have sorbates (preservatives) in them that will keep your yeast from multiplying. If you prime with a concentrate that contains preservatives, there is a good chance your beer will not carb up as can be expected when priming with corn sugar/ table sugar/ rice solids/ whatever else people are using these days.

I used Realemon juice crystals in my priming solution. Worked fine,but beer came out tasting like lemon blossom tea mixed with a light pale ale. Def needs some zest,I think,even thought my son said it tasted real close to Leinenkugel's.

Hi,

First off, this batch is for the friends. I haven't been brewing for too long, but people have really enjoyed what I've produced so far. Now that spring break and summer are coming up, I have a lot of people requesting that I make a clone of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.

I was thinking that I should probably use an American Wheat beer or another light American style beer. I will be bottling this batch so force carbonating is not an option. I also want it to be pre-mixed at bottling so that people can't mess up the proportions and blame me (also because I don't want to bring a batch of lemonade around every time they want it). These are the possible routes I can take based on my current research:

1. Fully ferment the beer, add non-sugar lemonade mix packets to final product, add priming sugar, and bottle.
2. Ferment the beer with real lemonade (containing sugar) in the carboy, add priming sugar, and bottle.
3. Fully ferment the beer, add real lemonade (containing sugar) instead of priming sugar before bottling and bottle.

I'm sure that there are probably other options, so what do you suggest? I hope this will turn out to be a success, thanks for the help!

Hey. Can I get that recipe from you? That would be great! Thanks

a shandy calls for some sweetness.........The problem being that if you bottle condition, the sweetness goes away and becomes carbonation......... Unless you use an artificial sweetener like xilatol. Probably the safest of all artificial sweeteners , Xilatol is based on a naturally occurring indigestible sugar. ( It's toxic to canines though ).

If you were kegging, the solution would be simple......... heat the beer enough to kill the yeast before kegging and carbonating. (140F).

H.W.

Back