Abita Amber clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cain

Reaction score
I have looked all over and cannot find a clone recipe for Abita Amber (all grain) and I'm hoping someone has figured out a recipe that comes close. Anyone?

Typing abita amber into the search box at the very top right of every HBT page, and UNchecking "Search this Forum only" yields plenty of returns to start your research.

I don't know how close they are, or if they're any good, but they're here, and likely elsewhere on the web too.

I did that search. You are right, plenty of returns...

There is a lot of talk about the beer, but other than one partial mash recipe that was discussed, no one had a recipe they were happy with.

I also looked elsewhere on the web, and didn't find one there either. That was the purpose of asking the question here in the recipe section of your forum.

I was more thinking of this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/recipe-critique-abita-amber-clone-sort-of.163183/
It's all grain.

Don't forget, aside from ingredients, a lot of the outcome depends on process.

I've had Abita beers (including their Amber) a few times in the past, they're not very special, typically brewed to reach the BMC crowd who want to try something different. If you really like a good Amber, there are many homebrew recipes out there that make a much better, more interesting Amber beer.
I like using homemade candi (sugar) syrup in mine, added toward the end of fermentation, and using a Belgian yeast (e.g., WP515, Antwerp) at lower temps.

Thanks for the replies!

The recipe from Brewstock is exactly what I was looking for. Water profile is another area I have yet to learn, so more research to do.

I am going to make this next. If you are interested in making Abita as well, I will let you know if it turns out to be a good recipe. Thanks again! You just made my day!

Last edited:
Did you research lead you to a recipe kit at Brewstock Homebrew Supplies? What's interesting about their kits is that they include a water profile and brewing salts (PPM) with their recipes.
That indeed looks like a good recipe, actually a good source for many recipes!
I am going to make this next. If you are interested in making Abita as well, I will let you know if it turns out to be a good recipe. Thanks again! You just made my day!
Glad to hear, keep us posted on the results!

Are you going to brew it as a proper lager or an ale?

I'll try it with US05 first, and see how it goes. Looking forward to it.

Back