Beach etiquette..Take 5 steps back please....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Whats the deal with assho, I mean beach goers that want to park their family right next to my chair and family. I mean really. There are miles and miles of ocean shore. Why do they choose my personal space??? I f'n hate it. It is because I'm special?? No, I don't think so. Handsome, absolutely not. So what is it people? Three friggin times today people wanted to share my chair and I asked them to more away a few feet. When I get to the beach, I'm ALWAYS aware of other peoples______________________space...See.

The lovely fat family to my left today, started out a foursome. As the day went along, it seems they were multiplying, because there were 10 people 2 inches from me. I wanted to smash all of them, but all I could do it tell them to move. And it wasn't just one group of assho, I mean beach goers.

Along with bug spray, I need assho, I mean people spray.

the beach is not yours. maybe you are in their fav spot and you just got there first?

Who the hell said anything ownership?? I was talking about rude and/or ignorant people. I think when you put your beach stuff down, you have a certain amount of space. You shouldn't have to worry that if you get up off your chair, you don't elbow someone in the head.

You weren't at the beach today were you???? Maybe sitting to my left by any chance? :D

You weren't at the beach today were you???? Maybe sitting to my left by any chance? :D

rotflmao.gif

My solution is I bring my 6 and 7 year olds along to the beach. A few minutes of yelling, screaming and kicking sand all over everything and I get a huge zone of inhibition around my blanket.

Whats the deal with assho, I mean beach goers that want to park their family right next to my chair and family. I mean really. There are miles and miles of ocean shore. Why do they choose my personal space??? I f'n hate it. It is because I'm special?? No, I don't think so. Handsome, absolutely not. So what is it people? Three friggin times today people wanted to share my chair and I asked them to more away a few feet. When I get to the beach, I'm ALWAYS aware of other peoples______________________space...See.

The lovely fat family to my left today, started out a foursome. As the day went along, it seems they were multiplying, because there were 10 people 2 inches from me. I wanted to smash all of them, but all I could do it tell them to move. And it wasn't just one group of assho, I mean beach goers.

I know the feeling, I park a pretty good distance from the entrance to Walmart, not as far as I could, but there are always LOTS of empty spaces that are closer. Never fails, some moron parks right next to me. Mother trucker! They could've parked a space or 2 away, but no, Right next to me.
That sort of thing really torques my cookies.
Regards, GF.

What kind of beachgoer are you? If you are the type who brings a huge picnic or a television and recliner they may just be trying to mooch off of you. That or they can sense that you have good homebrew with you and want a taste.

Is this one of those overcrowded beaches or one of the lighter density family beaches. I hate the ones where you are forced to share blankets with strangers because it is so crowded, but you can understand the proximity that way. I like the more private beacues where there is no excuse to be in my lap. Unless you are an attractive lady in a skimpy bathing suit. Maybe then I wont complain.

Last year we went to a popular beach up in Canada on Lake Erie. We got there and setup our pop-up shelter near the back of the beach so we weren't in the way. The day we picked was some sort of holiday for a particular non-english speaking group. The place was quickly overrun with people. We were packed in like sardines.

A large family (at least 20 people) setup next to us. They were as close as you could possibly get without sitting in our laps. They had a huge spread of food and were having a really good time.

I noticed one of the women in the group was extremely pregnant and had kinda positioned herself under our shelter to be in the shade. She saw that I noticed, appologized in broken english, and got up to move. I felt bad becase it was extremely hot. I told her it was OK - since she looked a little overheated. Bad move. Within 15 minutes the entire group was under my shelter.

They did give us some food though.

What kind of beachgoer are you? If you are the type who brings a huge picnic or a television and recliner they may just be trying to mooch off of you. That or they can sense that you have good homebrew with you and want a taste.

Is this one of those overcrowded beaches or one of the lighter density family beaches. I hate the ones where you are forced to share blankets with strangers because it is so crowded, but you can understand the proximity that way. I like the more private beacues where there is no excuse to be in my lap. Unless you are an attractive lady in a skimpy bathing suit. Maybe then I wont complain.

No, like I said before, I try to be aware of other people. I never will sit too close. Why would I? I hate people. It's usually my wife and I and my 7 Yo. I have two older boys, but didn't go. We have two of those low beach chairs. Maybe a small cooler in between. That's it. Even my lovely wife was a little uncomfortable and she never complains.

If you're in Mass and don't like lots of crazy people doing weird things.... I suggest you go visit P-town on the cape for a relaxing day at the beach. Let us know how it goes.

Get our your camera and just start snapping picture saying, "oh ooh yes work it, oh yeah that's it, hhhmmmmm yes desktop material right there" best done with a slightly crazy look in your eyes.

Last year we went to a popular beach up in Canada on Lake Erie. We got there and setup our pop-up shelter near the back of the beach so we weren't in the way. The day we picked was some sort of holiday for a particular non-english speaking group. The place was quickly overrun with people. We were packed in like sardines.

A large family (at least 20 people) setup next to us. They were as close as you could possibly get without sitting in our laps. They had a huge spread of food and were having a really good time.

I noticed one of the women in the group was extremely pregnant and had kinda positioned herself under our shelter to be in the shade. She saw that I noticed, appologized in broken english, and got up to move. I felt bad becase it was extremely hot. I told her it was OK - since she looked a little overheated. Bad move. Within 15 minutes the entire group was under my shelter.

They did give us some food though.

That sounds like fun, to me ;)

I just like feeling close to people is all.

I just catch small children and pets.

My beach pet peeve...people who don't pick up after their dog, an people who leave all their trash on the beach. Especially when it's glass

I live in the south.... and I attend to the smaller lake side beaches in one of the lesser known area lakes. Beautiful, away from annoyances, and someplace where you can do basically what ever you want. and I do mean WHATEVER:D. I don't have a problem with a small crowd or even a little company but when it's 100 in the shade and only bearable because of a breeze I don't want people crowding in on me either.

to be honest it sounds to me like the OP needs to find one of these kinds of "get-away" beaches.

Ahhhh beach space an age long dilemma. Big perk growing up in a San Diego beach town is knowing the right spots to not deal with tourist BS and get a little personal space. 'Tis the season.

My wife and I used to go to Ocean City NJ and sit in a crazy mass of human flesh, all trying to share the same postage stamp of beach. It was nuts. We had fun, but for certain you were crowded. We left the NE and went to FL in '92

FL has 1200 miles of white sand and warm water (especially on my side, the gulf). If you go to the beach and can even see another human, you're doing it wrong.

I grew up in NYC and used to go to the Rockaways (Beach 108th St.). There were some days you couldn't even see the sand. When I was stationed in Norfolk we started heading out to Dam Neck (another military base) to avoid all the touristy bs at Va. Beach. Three miles of beach and nary another soul around. Plus they had a small convenience (class six) store there and you were allowed to drink on the beach. One weekend SWMBO and I went down to the Outer Banks. We drove along the coast for MILES without seeing another car. We found a secluded spot. I couldn't see anyone for miles in either direction. I told my wife let's go skinny dipping. She said no, someone will see us. Who? There isn't a soul around. Well, okay... Get in the water and five minutes later a family of four arrives. I had to run to our towels and get our suits. She said, "I told you someone would see us!" How does she do that?

I think the core problem is people are lazy, don't want to hike more than 20 feet from the beach access point then get pis*ed off when nobody else does and they all end up on top of one another.

Latest posts

Back