A question about clarifying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cainepolo12

Reaction score
I am fairly new to brewing (6 batches) and have something happening in my current fermenter that I have not dealt with. I have done almost are dark ales and am currently fermenting an amber ale using us05. My gravity has dropped from 1.056 to 1.020 over the past week, but it is still very cloudy in my thief. New variables include using soybean honey, the new yeast, and a late addition of sorghum at ten. My target FG is 1.016, so I am worried that this is going to look like a jefe. I used Irish moss and that has always worked for me very well. Any thoughts?

I am worried that this is going to look like a jefe.

oye jefe! que pasa guey?

us05 drops out pretty fast, give it another week or two and it will clear out and finish up fermenting. let it hit target gravity and cold crash it if you can, that will clear it out really fast.

Irish moss, added during the boil, is more about dropping out proteins and other junk in the boil kettle so they don't get into the fermenter and add cloudiness to begin with so you can bottle faster - you can add polyklar, gelatin, or bentonite to your fermented beer to bind to the yeast and have them drop out and clear your beer.

if the yeast is still floating around they are still cleaning up their mess, let them work.

fear not, if you let the yeast do the job it will drop and leave your beer nice and clear given enough time.

hasta luego

Haha. Autocorrect strikes gain. Pinche chingadera guey. Thanks for the info. Ill be patient and give it time to do its thing.

Back