A question about Brett.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@bernardsmith,
Are you conducting two separate tests, one with a solution of water and powdered lactose and one with "sweet" whey?
If so, how is the first one progressing.

Thanks RPh_Guy. I added some nutrient without dissolving it first in water because I wanted to see if there was any gas saturating the liquid - and there was. No volcano, although I did get an inch or so of froth and foam so further proof of something going on with the claussenii

@bernardsmith,
Are you conducting two separate tests, one with a solution of water and powdered lactose and one with "sweet" whey?
If so, how is the first one progressing.
Just one experiment. I guess I wanted to use the lactose as a "starter" as it were because I heard that claussenii can take weeks to begin any activity (is that true or a fairy tale?) I added the sweet whey (the pH is higher when you use cultures to ripen the milk than if you use lemon juice or vinegar) after I saw signs of activity in the airlock but the gravity had not fallen appreciably. My plan is to let this sit in the hot water bath for a few weeks and then taste the solution to see if I can detect alcohol then I will measure the gravity to see how much it has dropped from about 1.023

Latest posts

Back