Missed my OG, how much DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just missed my OG on a beer that I want to bring to NHC. I was looking for 1.049, I am sitting on 12 gallons of 1.044. How many lbs. of Extra Light DME should I add to bring this one up to 1.050ish?

Right now Ihave a gallon of water getting ready to boil, and about 4 lbs of extra light DME on hand. I am going to boil 2 lbs of DME into 1 gallon water for a 1.087 wort addition into my wort. I just do not know the math to figure out what that addition would do to my current 12 gallons of wort.

Add 1 1/3 lbs of DME and you will hit 1.049.

Here's how you do it:

One GU (gravity unit) is the volume in gallons * significant part of the gravity reading.

So 12 gallon * 1.049 = 12 * 49 = 588 Gravity units (GU).

Subtract the actual GU from the target GU:

12 * 49 - 12 * 44 = 588 - 528 = 60

DME has a value of 45 GU/lb. LME is 38 GU/lb.

So 60 / 45 = 1.33 lbs.

Right now Ihave a gallon of water getting ready to boil, and about 4 lbs of extra light DME on hand. I am going to boil 2 lbs of DME into 1 gallon water for a 1.087 wort addition into my wort. I just do not know the math to figure out what that addition would do to my current 12 gallons of wort.

DME yields roughly 44ppg. You need to add 5 points. 5pts=44ppg*X(lbs of DME)÷12gal

I edited my post above... making sure you didn't miss it. :mug:

I did miss he edit. Thanks for the help to the both of you. :mug:
I am in a big rush as my family has already left for camp and I told SWMBO'd that I would be out of here by 11.:( Missing my OG by 5 points on a beer that will be at club night at NHC needs correction though. So, seeing as I am in a rush, I now have 1 gallon of water boiling with the 2 lbs of DME already dissolved in it. I'm calculating that should bring me somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.052ish. I could be wrong with my calcualations though...:fro:

2 lbs of DME is going to add 90 GU.

90 / 12 = 7.5 so your gravity is going to be 1.044 + .075 = 1.0515.

When i am brewing i use the gravity calculator at onebeer.net. no math skills needed sorry there is no link i am on my phone

Back