American Pale Ale A Pale-achian Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
S-05
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
10 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 62 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 68 degrees
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
Very forward Citra hop aroma, tangerine and mild grapefruit flavor, gentle bitterness
This is my second go at this recipe, using the judges notes I received. They said that for the APA style, it was a touch too bitter (almost pushing it into the IPA category), and I should either lower my bittering hops, or increase my malt profile. I chose to decrease my bittering hops from 1 oz. to .5 oz, and added the extra .5 oz at 10 minutes to really kick the citrus flavor home. I also increased my .5 oz. citra dry-hop to a full ounce.

MALTS
½ lbs. Cara Pills (5.9%)
½ pilsner malt (5.9%)
½ lbs. Honey Malt (5.9%)
1 lb. flacked Wheat (11.8%)
6 lbs. Extra Light Dry Malt Extract (70.6%)

HOPS
.5 oz. Cascade (60 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (20 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade (10 min.)
1 oz. Citra (5 min.)
1 oz. Citra (secondary)

ADJUNCTS
½ oz. Diced Fresh Ginger Root (added to secondary with Citra)

YEAST
Safale U.S. 05 (S-05)

After being in the bottle for just 2 weeks, the judge's advise really turned out. The tangerine and grapefruit flavors are stronger, and the bitterness is just right for my taste. Best beer I've brewed to-date.

Looks good. How much does the ginger root contribute to taste?

I've never brewed this beer without the ginger, so I'm not sure where the bitter/grapefruit flavor from the hops and the bitterness from the ginger is drawn: it's difficult to tell. One thing the ginger DOES do (and this is why I decided to use it in the first place) is dry-out the finish. The citrus and bitterness comes to a screeching halt after experiencing them, and beckons for another sip! I'm not exactly sure what it is about the ginger that makes this happen - hell, it might even be a placebo affect - but it's a d@mn good beer no matter how you cut it!

Interesting. Im a big fan of ginger, Citra hops, honey malt, and have a ton of homegrown Cascade hops waiting to be used. I might just be brewing this recipe next.

If you like pale ales on the hoppier side, I might add some more bittering hops, but If you're just becoming a hop-head, this would make a very nice transition beer ;)

I'm sure it'll be off-the-radar delicious in another 2 months, but it tastes so fresh, I can't seem to stop drinking the stuff :(

Back