A Good Deal for a beginner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rypcord

Reaction score
So my cousin's birthday is coming up in a few weeks, and he lives on the other side of the country. He's looking to get started in brewing. We typically try and find deals for each other each year that we can buy online and have just shipped to us, and NB is willing to do that. We also typically don't go over 60-80$, but I'm thinking this might be a good deal for him. Its 99.99$.

Here's the offer:

https://www.northernbrewer.com/brew...uct+Catalog&utm_content=Starter+Kits+Carousel

Kit Includes:

Block Party Amber Ale recipe kit
6.5 gallon fermentor w/ lid & Bubbler airlock
Bottling Bucket w/Spigot assembly
Fermenter's Favorites® Bottle filler
5 Gallon Stainless Brew Kettle
21” Stainless Spoon
Siphon, 5 ft. Siphon Tubing & Siphon Tube Holder
Cleaner/Sanitizer - Fermenter's Favorites® Oxygen Wash
Bottle Brush
Royal® Crown Bottle Capper & Caps (60ct.)
20% OFF coupon code for use on a subsequent purchase

Sound like a good deal for a brand new beginning brewer, whose never done anything before?

Yes that is a good value at that price. Of course NB is now part of the evil empire but comparable kits on the vendors I use more frequently run about $130. Only concern I have is buying a 5 gallon kettle. If he gets the bug it will quickly be too small as he will want to get into full volume boils which need a minimum 7 gallon pot for 5 gallon batches. But they start out extract brewers doing half volume boils and diluting with cool water in the fermentor to chill. It will work fine for that.

This setup is a fair price and will get you a three gallon boil. Top up your fermentor with cold water to five gallons, no problem.

Extras needed : triple scale hydrometer with tube, steel thermometer with clip, Star San with spray bottle. These are fairly cheap.
Optional: wort chiller.

You'll need some way to cool your wort. Easiest way is just secure the lid and remove the stock pot to a quiet, cool place overnight, then pitch our yeast the next day. A wort chiller is faster, but is an extra item that might be a bit expensive and it takes up space.

You'll need some way to cool your wort. Easiest way is just secure the lid and remove the stock pot to a quiet, cool place overnight, then pitch our yeast the next day. A wort chiller is faster, but is an extra item that might be a bit expensive and it takes up space.

Or put the pot in the kitchen sink and cool with water and ice.

The 20% off coupon will be good for PBW as the primary cleaner and Star San as the sanitizer. Large scale hydrometer is a good investment. Then one or two more brewing kits.

Yeah that kit looks good. I got a similar one to start with. I ended up having to replace my autosiphon and bottling wand because they didn't work so well, but the fermenter and bottling bucket have both seen a lot of use.

Back