A Discussion on Coffee in Brewing Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwbrewing32

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'd like to get a topic going of how to get coffee in beer. The reason why, is Stone has a Coffee Milk Stout that they claim the brewer simply adds whole beans to the mash and *poof*, you have a fine coffee flavor. Maybe they do a secondary with coffee as well...don't know. I've heard that a larger coffee bean crush gives you a smoother profile (could just be from the larger surface area and takes longer to get nasty flavors out).

I can understand the reasoning behind this; a colder brew temp (148-156) extracts much less of the harsh flavors out, the oils get boiled to snot so head retention shouldn't be an issue. I could, however, see the PH going crazy with this addition. I was thinking Sumatra which has quite a low acidity to it would best best.

However, I've also seen topics keep bringing up what coffee that's been boiled tastes like: death. So then cold steeping in the beer directly or making a cold brew comes in.

I am brewing a Milk Stout this week and want to add coffee. I'm half tempted to toss some beans in the mash (maybe 1/2 way through) to see what happens. If Stone does it, could it really be wrong?

So what are your thoughts on all of this?

Look forward to any input you all are willing to give!

Try cold steeping for a couple days, strain and add to the boil the last 10 min. Seems to be a bit less bitter that way. I'm working on a mocha coffee porter and I used to steep grounds post boil. I started at 30 min and than worked it down to 15 min. It was still too bitter so I than started cold steeping and adding the extract to the boil. Still working out the kinks but so far seems to be a bit mellower. Might try a french press to see if that will help cut the bitterness also.

I have exactly one data point, which is the Vietnamese coffee stout I bottled a couple weekends ago.

I used 32oz. of cold brew coffee (add water to grind in a 4:1 ratio, stir thoroughly, let sit ~24hr, strain—or use commercial cold brew).

End result: It tastes yummy.

I did 4oz whole beans in primary after fermentation, like a dry hop, for 10 days. Just opened up and dumped them in. I was happy with the result however I might up it to 6oz next time.

I added right after flameout, let the wort cool under 205 deg (that's optimum brew temp for coffee) and stirred often. Used 3-4 Ozs of lightly crushed beans. Try not to use really oily beans as it may affect head retention. Had a brunch stout from NB and they had you adding 4 Ozs at flameout. I probably wouldn't boil, all other options would work.

I am planning a coffee stout as my next brew. I am going to cold brew some very nice coffee and then decant the coldbrew off the grounds and then boil my coldbrewed coffee to sanitize it with my priming sugar. I read somewhere that coldbrewed coffee that is boiled after the fact is even better than the coldbrewed unboiled coffee. They boiled theirs for 10 mins, but I will boil my for just 3 to sanitize. I figure that I will use about an ounce of coffee per gallon of beer at bottling. The solution will be about a cup of concentrated coffee per gallon of beer.

I did 3oz whole beans in primary 24h before bottling. It was very easy and flavours were good, but it did bring in more bitterness than expected. I will try this again and lower the bittering hops accordingly, otherwise try a cold steep.

I've been brewing a version of the same coffee porter for over 3 years now, and it's won several competition awards. My secret is no secret at all: lots of whole beans added directly to the fermentor before packaging. If you're gonna coffee a beer, coffee the beer! I add at least 12oz (most of the time 16oz) of whole medium roast beans directly into the fermentor for 24-36 hours before kegging (would do the same for bottling). That's it. They impart a wonderful coffee flavor and aroma with little bitterness at all. Dark roast beans will contribute some bitterness, so keep that in mind. Whole beans are easy to add and make for easy cleanup.

A touch of vanilla puree from my local spice shop added at kegging really takes it to another level.

MQ.jpg

AleRunner: any sanitizing of beans?
I would think not.
I'm a home coffee roaster so I may just roast a batch and put in a sanitized container for a day or two then add to fermenter.

I've been brewing a version of the same coffee porter for over 3 years now, and it's won several competition awards. My secret is no secret at all: lots of whole beans added directly to the fermentor before packaging. If you're gonna coffee a beer, coffee the beer! I add at least 12oz (most of the time 16oz) of whole medium roast beans directly into the fermentor for 24-36 hours before kegging (would do the same for bottling). That's it. They impart a wonderful coffee flavor and aroma with little bitterness at all. Dark roast beans will contribute some bitterness, so keep that in mind. Whole beans are easy to add and make for easy cleanup.

A touch of vanilla puree from my local spice shop added at kegging really takes it to another level.

Good God man, 12 oz in a 5 gallon batch? That's insanity! But obviously it's been successful for you so I can't question it too much.

That said, I agree with the whole beans in the fermenter technique. I've used 5 oz of beans per 5 gallons for 2-4 days and been pleased with the results.

I make quite a few coffee beers, my favorite technique is to cold steep for a day, strain and pour into the fermenter, I use my large 50 oz french press and go 3:1 water to coffee when making it. I inject the result into my kegs after transferring from the fermenter. I like to use something South American with good chocolate notes, I've found that most Ethiopians and Kenyans are too bright and acidic for my personal taste (in beer, I drink Ethiopian coffee most mornings).

I sort of like the idea of mixing in a bit of vanilla, I may give that a go when I go to add coffee to a milk stout that's coming on tap shortly.

Also I'd avoid Trader Joe's coffee concentrate, if you run into it... it gives that 'green pepper' thing something fierce in my experience.

AleRunner: any sanitizing of beans?
I would think not.
I'm a home coffee roaster so I may just roast a batch and put in a sanitized container for a day or two then add to fermenter.

No, I just pour them right in. I trust that the 7% alcohol would kill any potential nasties on the beans. Never had an issue in 3+ years.

Good God man, 12 oz in a 5 gallon batch? That's insanity! But obviously it's been successful for you so I can't question it too much.

That said, I agree with the whole beans in the fermenter technique. I've used 5 oz of beans per 5 gallons for 2-4 days and been pleased with the results.

Like I said, if you're gonna coffee the beer, coffee the beer! :rockin:

It drinks like an adult cold brew coffee.

My favorite commercial coffee beer is Reve Stout from Parish Brewing. The owner and I did a side by side with our two beers, and they were VERY similar. He told me he uses the equivalent of 20oz of coffee beans per 5 gallons.

I brewed a coffee porter that I was super happy with. The homebrew club gave it compliments and my wife is bugging me to brew it again. For this beer I used 4 oz of coarse french press grind Fancy Bourbon Santos coffee cold brewed in my fridge for 24 hours in a hop bag in 1 quart of water. After the coffee had brewed, I strained it right into the keg with the beer before I put it on gas. No bitterness or harshness. It wasn't in your face coffee but you could definitely tell it was there.

Brewing a vanilla java porter clone tomorrow. Still deciding on how to impart the coffee flavor. For the vanilla I will be using the beans as I have a bunch. I do have a french press but not sure how to go? I am thinking some beans in the keg in a hop bag? IDK...

I made a 5.25 gallon batch of oatmeal brown and split it: 1/2 regular oatmeal brown and the other 2.5-2.75 gallon I threw in 2 oz of dark roast whole beans for just 2 days. It gave an intense coffee flavor that has mellowed over time and became a pretty balanced beer. Keep in mind I added a small amount so that I could also get the oatmeal flavor as well. I think a reasonable amount of coffee whole bean is 1 oz per gallon of beer if you are looking for a subtle flavor. I would definitely make this beer again.

I had the first beer that I liked that has coffee in it last week- Cup of Gogh from Oak and Dagger brewing in Raleigh, NC.

It is a Dutch Koyt that has coffee added. It is low if any hopps and a bit of sweetness but the coffee was not in you face but just enough to taste with out any bitter. I hope to go back by and try to pick the brewers brain on it. I am working up this to brew in a month or two

I put cracked coffee beans in my hopback and run the wort through it on the way to the chiller.

Disclaimer: I like my stouts roasty, almost ashy, even, so depending on your level of roasted barley, this method may not be for you.

I have tried many ways and lots of differnt grinds. I much prefer to not water my beer down with "cold brewed coffee" which is made using water. Use your beer to make the cold brew instead. Once mine is cold crashing I put whole beans, unsanitized, in a hop sack or 1 gallon paint strainer and remove them 12 to 24 hours later.

The whole beans give you more control over the flavor and because the beer is cold you get the same flavor contribution if you made cold brew coffee without watering ur beer down. The time is key here. No more than 24 hours but I find I get the best flavors at around 15 to 18. I generally use 2 to 4 Oz per 5 gal and love the results.

I find that a good full bodied medium or light roast will give you some great results. Darker roasts work too but I tens to get more bitter flavors even when brewing this cold.

How much is a touch of vanilla purée? Thinking of doing a stout like this

How much is a "touch" of vanilla purée? Thinking of doing a stout like this.

@TheAleRunner I discovered Parish Reve late last year when visiting MS. I live in NC and can't get it here. Any tips that you would be willing to suggest to try to make a clone of it?

I do a Coffee Cream Ale that's gotten nothing but astounding praise at any beer festival or tasting i've brought it to. I just use dark roast beans, sprayed in starsan, in a bag, suspended in primary for 4-5 days, I usually put them in right at the end of fermentation right before i start cold crashing. Usually around 3-4oz for a 5gallon batch

The mash process is a weird one to me but I can see how for a large production facility it is easier to get uniformity and not have to worry about fishing out coffee beans from a tank of beer--but I would still be surprised if they are not making another addition of coffee somewhere along the way. Between spending hours at hot temperature/boiling and fermentation driving out some of the aromatics I would not expect the best coffee flavor to remain. I could be wrong though.

IMO the best approach is to add coffee before packaging so it is fresh and you have the least opportunity for staling. Adding whole or moderately crushed beans ~24 hours before packaging is an effective and simple way to add coffee. I have also had good success making a highly concentrated cold brew the night before packaging and then adding the concentrate at packaging. Steeping beans directly in the beer is a cold brewing process itself but you need to make sure your process allows you to remove all of the bean solids from the beer. The more solids remain in the beer the more likely you are to have overextracted and stale coffee flavors.

I was literally about to start this thread - glad I found it.

My dad did a batch where he made espresso and added that to the brew in primary. He said it was ok, but not amazing.

What difference does adding beans to the end of fermentation vs. beginning of fermentation do? If I were to add 6 oz. of whole beans per gallon, what would be the difference between adding 24 hours before or day of the brew right into the fermenter?

I was literally about to start this thread - glad I found it.

My dad did a batch where he made espresso and added that to the brew in primary. He said it was ok, but not amazing.

What difference does adding beans to the end of fermentation vs. beginning of fermentation do? If I were to add 6 oz. of whole beans per gallon, what would be the difference between adding 24 hours before or day of the brew right into the fermenter?

6oz per gallon would be excessive. I did 3-4oz in a bag for 3 days and i had plenty of coffee aroma in my cream ale. If it was a heavy rich dark stout or something maybe you can bump that up to 6-8oz total for a 5 gallon batch, but 6 per gallon seems like you're basically going to have cold brew coffee.

I added it at the end of fermentation because i just didnt want a ton of contact time, and like hops, i didnt want fermentation offgassing driving off the aroma

Best coffee stout I made was actually a very dark roasty american stout. I roasted the beans myself (a guat if I remember correctly) to a medium roast and brewed them using a chemex method about 24 oz of strong brewed coffee. Added that to my 2.5 gallons of stout. Then I dry hopped that sucker with lots of centennial and Amarillo.
If you haven't tried it you can't call me crazy. :coff1::tank:

Latest posts

Back