temp too cold???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkuterB

Reaction score
I brewed a favorite recipe of my yesterday, which is a Citra Pale Ale. At the beginning of the boil, I add 1 lb. of Rice Extract (100% fermentable) and 1 lb. of Wildflower Honey. Because of the additional sugars added, I double the yeast content (2-pk of Safale Us-05). As I am from sunny SoCal and it is beginning to warm up here, my room where I keep my primary and secondary fermentor, tends to rise above the desired temp.(65-70). After my last batch finished it's violent fermentation process and stopped completely after the 6th day, I went to rack to secondary, when I noticed my temp was up to about 72-74. I kept it in the secondary in the room for 3days and I am now cold crashing in fridge to try to clarify this somewhat hazy brew. So, I decided to try a new method of keeping the temp down with the beer I brewed yesterday. Once I pitched the yeast and gave it a good aeration, I set the primary in a shallow tub with cold water and (some) ice. I dipped a dark colored shirt in the water and covered the carboy. Maybe I am overreacting, but later that night I lifted the shirt to check the temp, and noticed that all the protiens had settled at the bottom. My question is, if anyone could help, did I start off too cold, enough to put the yeast in a dormant state? I have since removed the shallow tub (no water, no ice and no wet shirt). Will the yeast wake up and begin to ferment? As it stands this minute, the temp looks to be around 68-70. I am worried that I ruined what is usually an amazing beer. Will the yeast begin to ferment?

I brewed a favorite recipe of my yesterday, which is a Citra Pale Ale. At the beginning of the boil, I add 1 lb. of Rice Extract (100% fermentable) and 1 lb. of Wildflower Honey. Because of the additional sugars added, I double the yeast content (2-pk of Safale Us-05). As I am from sunny So Cal and it is beginning to warm up here, my room where I keep my primary and secondary fermentor, tends to rise above the desired temp.(65-70). After my last batch finished it's violent fermentation process and stopped completely after the 6th day, I went to rack to secondary, when I noticed my temp was up to about 72-74. I kept it in the secondary in the room for 3days and I am now cold crashing in fridge to try to clarify this somewhat hazy brew. So, I decided to try a new method of keeping the temp down with the beer I brewed yesterday. Once I pitched the yeast and gave it a good aeration, I set the primary in a shallow tub with cold water and (some) ice. I dipped a dark colored shirt in the water and covered the carboy. Maybe I am overreacting, but later that night I lifted the shirt to check the temp, and noticed that all the proteins had settled at the bottom. My question is, if anyone could help, did I start off too cold, enough to put the yeast in a dormant state? I have since removed the shallow tub (no water, no ice and no wet shirt). Will the yeast wake up and begin to ferment? As it stands this minute, the temp looks to be around 68-70. I am worried that I ruined what is usually an amazing beer. Will the yeast begin to ferment?

68 degrees is perfect for s-05, but I'd probably start it a bit cooler because as fermentation starts it can warm up a bit. I'd do my best to keep it under 70 at all times.

No need to post twice! We can "see" the posts and doubling it isn't helpful.

I posted earlier in a different catagory (Fermentation & Yeast) and then later put it in (Beginners Brew Forum)...Sorry did not realize it was posting twice in same catagory, I thought it would be in separate Forums. However, my question was...will the yeast wake up and ferment when it warms up some?

I posted earlier in a different catagory (Fermentation & Yeast) and then later put it in (Beginners Brew Forum)...Sorry did not realize it was posting twice in same catagory, I thought it would be in separate Forums. However, my question was...will the yeast wake up and ferment when it warms up some?

It was in two separate forums, but it was the same subject and the same question, so they were combined. There is no need to cross-post or duplicate post in our forum, because we can see all the forums. Anyway, there were combined for moderation, and the second one deleted.

I don't know why the beer would "warm up some", so I'm confused. Hopefully you have a place where it will be able to stay at 64-66 degrees and not get warmer than that!

As the brew cooled the protiens started to flocculate out. The yeast is still in solution and should be working just fine at the te,mps you are at right now. Yooper is correct the ideal temp for S-o5 is about where you were, so be patient and watch your air lock for bubbling. At lower temps it will tend to bubble less or more slowly but that is OK too. Your yeast will eventually clean up after themselves and the brew will flocculate out and begin to clear. Once it does that you can cold crash it and that will also help it clear. Once you crash it then bottle and allow it to come back up to room temp or fermenting temp and let it age a bit. Should do just fine...

Wheelchair Bob

@ Yooper...wow, I didn't realize YOUR forum was so particular...chill dude, it was purely accidental....(I don't spend all day on this forum to know the appropriate protocol) @ Rbeckett...thanks for your advice it was much more helpful than the previous post

@ Yooper...wow, I didn't realize YOUR forum was so particular...chill dude, it was purely accidental....(I don't spend all day on this forum to know the appropriate protocol) @ Rbeckett...thanks for your advice it was much more helpful than the previous post

She was just trying to provide you with appropriate protocol and in no way was unchill.

Back