Cascade Mountains West Coast Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zandrello

Reaction score
Cascade Mountains West Coast Imperial IPA
This is one of the latest and greatest Extract kits from Northern Brewer, and it was a VERY fun brew. Lots of hops, lots of aroma, and based off my gravity readings, it will turn out to be around 9.45% ABV!!

This is a BIG BEER. It had a great AGGRESSIVE Primary fermentation. I actually had to break out my blowoff tube for the first time since I started brewing!

Today is the point in my secondary fermentation, where I will dry hop with the addition of 4oz of Cascade. Exciting!
Here is my question: For the first 3 weeks of fermentation, it was a nice kind of Golden color with a little bit of copper-ish tones to it. Basically like a dirty gold, which is what it is supposed to look like, according to the pictures and descriptions for the kit. However, this past weekend, on Sunday 3/24, I noticed the color has changed noticeably!

It is notably darker than it was before. Not quite as dark as a brown ale or anything like that, but much closer to a light brown, whereas before it was a beautiful golden color.

What could have caused this change in color? I have been very good with keeping the temp stable in the mid 70s, and have taken very good care of it! NB told me the color change was nothing to worry about, but still... that nice golden color was gorgeous. What could have made this happen?

Zandrello,

I don't have an answer for ya', sorry. But, could you please post the grain bill, hop additions (times & amounts), and yeast used for this brew?
Much appreciative!

I actually brewed same kit, I didn't notice a color change,I used a whirl flow tablet don't know if that means anything, have mine in bombers waiting to carb! Let me know how yours turns out. Cheers

My guess is that the yeast finally dropped out. My beers always look darker (and clearer) once that happens. In the glass, it will probably look exactly as how you expect. Enjoy and congrats!

Well now, that looks like a FINE beer! :)

I'll probably be trying the all-grain (BIAB) version sometime in the near future...

Now, on to your question. I have (my version) of their Chinook IPA in the fermentor right now. It LOOKS about twice as dark as it should but, when done, and in the glass will be roughly the color is should be. What I've noticed, throughout ALL my extract brews, is that the color that shows in the fermentor is significantly darker than what shows in the glass...

RDWHAHB!!!! :)

IMG_20130512_165240.jpg

IMG_20130512_165258.jpg

I actually brewed same kit, I didn't notice a color change,I used a whirl flow tablet don't know if that means anything, have mine in bombers waiting to carb! Let me know how yours turns out. Cheers

JesseJ, i did not use clarity tablets so mine is still somewhat murky, (but it's an IPA, who cares LoL)

MINE TURNED OUT AMAZING! Absolutely awesome. Great hop character, thick body, and 9.45% ABV, which is hidden nicely by all the complex flavors. I'm very happy with this kit, and would recommend the recipe to everyone. 10 oz of hops total? YES PLEASE

Also, regarding the color issues I had questioned earlier, in a glass, it looks exactly as it should. Maybe just a tiny tiny touch darker than the pictures on NB website, but great nonetheless. It turns out it just looked alot darker after the yeast had kinda dropped out, and plus the carboy is really thick, and liquids always look darker when they're really deep or wide or whatever. You know what I mean.

All around awesome recipe! Some of my friends that "don't like IPAs" have told me that they really like it, and that they were impressed. It's always nice to hear that about your home brews! :mug:

Well now, that looks like a FINE beer! :)

I'll probably be trying the all-grain (BIAB) version sometime in the near future...

Now, on to your question. I have (my version) of their Chinook IPA in the fermentor right now. It LOOKS about twice as dark as it should but, when done, and in the glass will be roughly the color is should be. What I've noticed, throughout ALL my extract brews, is that the color that shows in the fermentor is significantly darker than what shows in the glass...

RDWHAHB!!!! :)

Yes this is what I have realized as well. It looks WAAAY darker in the carboy than it turns out looking in the glass :)

Also, what I did with this brew (because it's such a big beer) is that I bought my first keg, and kegged 3.5Gal of it. The other 1.5Gal I bottled (turned out to be 16 bottles).

I'm really glad that I did this. It is really great out of the keg, don't get me wrong, but I'm very excited to see what this beer will do with some age on it. I may save 1 or two bottles for a whole year and see what happens!

How long did yours take to carb? Mine has been in bombers for 6 weeks still flat

Latest posts

Back