$7.00* stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rey830

Reaction score
* I spent more than $7, but you can save money by just following what I did.

My brewing has evolved to needing a yeast starter. The option to buy a stir plate was out of the question. Its not that I couldn't afford one. I'm just cheap. I'm also an avid DIY'r so it seemed like a simple project I could get done fairly quickly. I researched lots and liked the idea of using a computer fan, magnets, stir bar, etc. I settled on a radioshack build buying the parts needed including a retrostat (potentialometer?) and on/off swtich. Being handy, I had most of the other stuff lying around. A quick Ebay search netted me TWO 12v computer fans for $3! The 1" stir bar was $2, and a set of round rare earth magnets was $2 at a local craft store.

I got frustrated trying to get this thing to work in an old wooden cigar box. The pull was not strong enough, the spin bar would not spin, etc. I couldn't mount the fan to the box-it was either too far, or too close. The box was driving me nuts. Then it occurred to me, why use the box? The box was limiting my potential! Get rid of the box!!

DSC05152.jpg

I screw mounted the computer fan to piece of wood. I set a piece of 5x7 picture frame glass on top of the fan. The screw heads created just the right amount of clearance to allow the fan to spin.
DSC05156.jpg

I used strong adhesive to glue the magnets directly to the fan hub once I determined + and - polarity and made sure my stir bar was attracted to it.

With the picture frame glass in place, I set my flask on top, dropped the stirbar in, it drew to the polarity of the magnets and it started to spin once plugged in.
DSC05160.jpg

I may or may no attach the retrostat/potentiometer-but it seems to work without it and total cost of just these items was $7!

what size are the magnets if you know? did you just use a 12v cell phone charger as a power source?

what size are the magnets if you know? did you just use a 12v cell phone charger as a power source?

I ordered a 1" stir bar. I used an old cell phone charger which I believe is 12 volts. I've been using this set up without the glass just setting flask on top of fan. It still works but I'm only using a 1lt flask.

The fan plugs directly into your cell charger? Can you show the connection?

No. I cut the plug in jack from the charger and tossed it. I then stripped the wires. I cut computer fan plug in connector and discarded it. Same thing, stripped wires. Then connected positive and negative by splicing wires. I used electrical tape to secure the wires together.

ANybody think it might be a good idea to drill some holes in the fan so it doesnt burn itself out premature (so the air has a place to go)? Also, any good urls for the magnets and/or stir bar?

ANybody think it might be a good idea to drill some holes in the fan so it doesnt burn itself out premature (so the air has a place to go)? Also, any good urls for the magnets and/or stir bar?

In my experience with it the fan never gets hot and I am not concerned with it burning out. It has never been warm to the touch or anything. I just used EBay to search for "magnetic stir bar".

^ Oh ok cool - I probably will be making one from what you said. Take a broken mouse, cut off the mouse, use the usb cable and a usb to wall charger adapter.

As for the magnetic stir bar, I would have expected it to be pennies from china. Do you recommend 1in or 2in?

Any recommendations from this Amazon page? Seems amazon has better pricing:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=magnetic%20stir%20bar

I have a 1 Lt flask and the 1" stir bar works for me. You'd have to do some research on the difference of a 2" bar vs 1" bar- I don't know. Yeah amazon is a great place for anything! Good luck

Back