5gal or 6 gal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebard

Reaction score
So I started my first batch of wine . Not wanting to over do it or under I started a 5gal batch in a 6gal setup not thinking that I would have a 1gallon of air space should I worrie about this extra air space?

So I started my first batch of wine . Not wanting to over do it or under I started a 5gal batch in a 6gal setup not thinking that I would have a 1gallon of air space should I worrie about this extra air space?

Hey,ebard.
I'm sure you have an air lock on your ferment. The CO2 from the ferment will drive off any air in the 6 gal jug. After primary, move to a jug that allows little head space ( 5 gal carboy). It'll be OK. Don't fret. :)

If it's a kit wine, make it to six gallons. Otherwise it'll be really, really bad. (Too acidic and possibly the yeast will clunk out before it goes dry)

bellmtbbq said:
If it's a kit wine, make it to six gallons. Otherwise it'll be really, really bad. (Too acidic and possibly the yeast will clunk out before it goes dry)

Not a kit concentrate cans

Back