5 Pounds BSG Fermax - $29.75 delivered by Amazon Prime

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely, a great deal.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I do believe this yeast nutrient is for wine.

Why? Description in the link provided.
"A balanced blend of proteins, amino acids and vitamins to improve yeast activity during fermentation."

Whereas, beer yeast need zinc for healthy fermentation. Let's look at the Wyeast Yeast Nutrient description at MoreBeer.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/wyeast-yeast-nutrient-15-oz.html
"Wyeast Yeast Nutrient gives your yeast a great start during propagation and provides the nutrients needed to maintain a healthy, active ferment: a blend of vitamins, minerals, inorganic & organic nitrogen, zinc, phosphates, and other trace elements that will benefit yeast growth and complete fermentation."

Also, the dosage rates. The Fermax is 1 to 1.5 teaspoon per gallon. The Wyeast is 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons.

I only mention the above to prevent a fellow homebrewer from purchasing for beer and then being disappointed.

Oh you are absolutely correct. In fact I don't know that this message is even supposed to be here as I may have posted it to the wrong forum area and I have already messaged the admin about this a few hours ago as I do not see a 'delete' button for this message. I have yet to hear back but I am thinking this post will be moved to the classifieds or the Supporter For Sale area. Even while I have been on here for half a decade I am not yet well versed in using the forums. That's what happens when you sign up for a home brew forum and then suddenly have twins at an old age. Hah

As far as using Fermax for beer, we have. When our homebrew shop grew large enough to include a microbrewery, yes we did, with nice results. You don't need a lot for a conventional home brew 5 gallon batch though.

The 5 pound bags would only be of interest to people treading the line between large home brew and microbrew levels.

The Wyeast tubes are ideal for home brew and I've never seen anything but exceptional results from that nutrient.

Hullabaloo Brew

I don't believe that there are any official recommendations for it. If I recall correctly when we used it for beer it was in conjunction with a 50 gallon batch of hefeweizen that was brewed at a class at Texas A&M University in College Station Texas. That batch used Omega Yeast Saisonsteins Monster and Mangrove Jack's M20. I think I poured a few pounds in that. That was a really nice beer. We added fresh local grown organic lemongrass as well.

In theory one doing a 5 gallon batch should not need yeast nutrient unless they encounter a stuck fermentation and verify that fact by using a hydrometer to compare the current gravity vs. the OG (Original Gravity). Yet there are fans of yeast nutrients outside the wine worlds (we use it at our winery for fermentation insurance).

Using a yeast nutrient is largely a matter of preference with home brew and why not? It's a great way to get the blowoff tube going wild ASAP, as far as I am concerned and I am not a scientist.

Hullabaloo Brew

Last edited:
I'd enjoy checking out your brewery. By chance, have a link?

Nope, not doing the website thing anymore. I quit using voicemail 20 years ago after taking a 6 month vacation, then spending 5 hours listening to 500 messages which basically said "Hey man, I guess I missed you, I will call again later." That was in 1999 and I have never used voice mail since and it's never been a problem. As far as running a website, that's too much of a pain in the ass. You have to always update it and it's never up to date so it's just a burden like voice mail and even E-Mail for that matter. None of that stuff is really needed.

Hullabaloo Brew started in College Station Texas, home of the Texas A&M Aggies. It was a small home brew supply store that started on Northgate. It then expended with locations in 9 Central Texas towns such as Bryan, Caldwell, Snook, Navasota, Hearne, Washington (on the Brazos), and a very large store and brewery with classes in downtown Brenham, including grocery stores. We even did ice cream and beer pairings with none other than the famous Blue Bell Ice Cream at their factory. And then one in Davis California, ironically also home of the 'Aggies". Seems like we are always accidentally in 'Aggieland'.

Our family winery started in Napa in 1966 and and has included a home brew supply store since 2011, along with a restaurant. There's no website nor even a street address because it's not on a street, yet a private dirt road. Customers find it by word of mouth and the wooden signs by the roadways, and tourist fliers in downtown Napa. It had a brewery that opened in 2014 but closed in 2020 due to Covid when everything was ordered shut. It and the restaurant are due to open again soon. We are not selling beer at present but we always brew it. Visitors to the home brew supply store are always offered a free cold 20 oz glass of whatever we have ready at the time. Right now it's a dead on Pliney the Elder clone but only 6.8% ABV and more Amarillo hash as 'dry-hopped'. We call it 'Pliney the Better'.

I'd rather not advertise the brewery since we didn't renew the California license for it specifically after covid shut us down and put the whole staff on unemployment. (Hell, I would do that too if I could). But we are working on re-opening the brewery, it's just a separate entity from the winery and home brew supply store (and cafe).

I would say check with me around January and I can probably issue you a VIP pass set complimentary to Home Brew Talk Lifetime Supporters.

We will likely still have a mask mandate (until vax are available for children) and designated drivers are required as always. (We collect car keys and only issue them back to DD's).

It is overall a fun experience from what people have said. Our guests are basically friends at our home, winery, brewery, home brew shop and cafe/restaurant. We have excellent German/Texas style Pastor tacos on regular rotation. (with pineapples)

Would be great to meet you.

Cheers

Hullabaloo Brew

Last edited:
Back