5 gallon and 6 gallon - what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bim_Boogie

Reaction score
I ordered a kit online and they sent a 5 gallon primary fermenter and a 6 gallon glass carboy. I know you are not supposed to have alot of air between the brew and the top of the carboy - my question is - what to do? Can I add more water and extract to the secondary fermenter to make up the space? Or do I need to buy another carboy?

welcome to the board.. 5 gallons of wart in a 6 gallon carboy sounds right to me.

6 to 6.5 gallon primary for a 5 gallon batch is just right. The krausen (look it up) will take up the extra headspace, then die down, and leave you with a little C02 blanket. A good thing.

The only thing you may want to buy (if you want to rack to secondary) is another 5 gallon carboy to take the beer off of the yeast cake, add fruit, oak chips, dryhops, etc.

You're good. Sounds like you got both carboys. So the 6 gallon is for primary fermentation (extra space for krausen and activity) and the 5 gallon will be for secondary/aging (no extra space because there should be very minimal activity after transfer).

Welcome to HBT!

You're good. Sounds like you got both carboys. So the 6 gallon is for primary fermentation (extra space for krausen and activity) and the 5 gallon will be for secondary/aging (no extra space because there should be very minimal activity after transfer).

Welcome to HBT!

This. Your post indicates you think the 5 is the primary, but it's the secondary.

Latest posts

Back