4 year old ingredients... What went bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastarojna

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to the beer brewing, well did do one of the Amazon kits once.

Anyhow, my father in law is big on brewing , and 4 years sago he sent me one of his recopies and ingredients to brew.
Its been laying around for 4 years in closed box and finally now i'm thinking about brewing it finally.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what from all the ingredients went bad and need to be replaced?
Please see photos attached.

Thank you :)
Happy Brewing!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200429_103234.jpg
    IMG_20200429_103234.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20200429_103230.jpg
    IMG_20200429_103230.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20200429_103217.jpg
    IMG_20200429_103217.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20200429_103221.jpg
    IMG_20200429_103221.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20200429_103225.jpg
    IMG_20200429_103225.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20200429_103228.jpg
    IMG_20200429_103228.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
hops look like crap, crush looks like crap...the finnings will probably be ok though....lol, sorry to sound negative....

Welcome!.

edit: at any rate, i'd brew it myself....

4 years is some time on ingredients...

Definitely ditch the hops. The should be green and smell fresh. Those look brown, and I bet smell like funk/cheese. Buy new on these.

The grains may be ok, if the were stored properly, and oxygen exposure was kept to a minimum. At that rate, to replace that grain bill would be like $8-10.

The yeast may or may not be ok. I would just buy new, and not risk it. A new sachet of Fermentis S05 is like $5. A fresh liquid packet is like $7.

4 years is some time on ingredients...

Definitely ditch the hops. The should be green and smell fresh. Those look brown, and I bet smell like funk/cheese. Buy new on these.

The grains may be ok, if the were stored properly, and oxygen exposure was kept to a minimum. At that rate, to replace that grain bill would be like $8-10.

The yeast may or may not be ok. I would just buy new, and not risk it. A new sachet of Fermentis S05 is like $5. A fresh liquid packet is like $7.
Thank you for feedback!!!:)

Actually, $2.89, plus shipping. So like $11, haha!

Great,
Where should i get it? I live in Denver and we do have a lot of brew stores, however due to the situation, most of them are closed....
Do you know where can i get it online?
Do you mind posting short cuts for what ever i need to replace, i just don't know enough about this and don't want to buy incorrect ingredients.
Thank you

I really like Ritebrew.com. There are tons, morebeer.com, northernbrewer.com, homebrewing.org

I buy all my ingredients from Rite Brew. Great customer service, and good prices. They are close to me (Ohio), so shipping for me is decent. I have noticed that shipping is a killer, so do some research, and try to find an online supplier that is close to you to keep the price down.

For the grains, just type into the search what is on the bags. Same with the hops, and buy enough of each to hit the amount you need based on what you had.

I am not sure what yeast that is, but Fermentis S05 will work. Type that in the search as well, and it will come up.

What they said ^
If those grains smell or taste stale, toss them.
Otherwise, replace the hops and probably the yeast. See it as a test batch.

If you can crush those grains a little better that would help with your mash efficiency.
BIAB?

Great,
Where should i get it? I live in Denver and we do have a lot of brew stores, however due to the situation, most of them are closed....
Do you know where can i get it online?
Do you mind posting short cuts for what ever i need to replace, i just don't know enough about this and don't want to buy incorrect ingredients.
Thank you

morebeer.com, and northernbrewer.com are the two big ones....

and i'd say the hops need to go, the grain will probably convert....but me being me, i'd brew it as is....maybe like kviek yeast and brüt IPA, fermented hops will be a trendy thing!

edit: it's either brew it or throw it away? so f it! brew it!

Do you have the equipment and knowledge to brew an all-grain batch?
Yes i do:) somewhere... just moved to a new apartment , need to find it, but i do have everything
And i do have instructions on how to do it.... :)

Back