Can I use it today or should I toss it????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QueenOfBattle

Reaction score
im brewing right now and I'm in new territory, I have some US-05 that was opened about a week ago, I kept it refrigerated in a glass jar (baby food) and I am hoping to use it today. I have other yeast I can use but I really dont want to open a new pack.
Can I use it or is too late? remember it was in the refrigerator now freezer.

Oh man. I am torn at the options. Half of me wants to say, just use it. The other half says its not worth it. Did you sanitize the jar before the yeast went in? If so, I wouldn't be as concerned. How hard is it to pick up another pack? Its pretty cheap stuff. I think this is a decision YOU need to make. Let us know how it goes. I know safale has a recommended shelf life after opening, and its not very long. Its on their website if you want to refer to it (I just read today, but can't remember the timeframe).

Is whats in the baby jar equivalent to a full pack? If not how much beer are you brewing and how much yeast do you have left?

how much yeast does your beer need? if you are making 5 gallons you might need more than a partial pack of yeast but if you are making 1 gallon then it might work.

Sorry for the late response, but yea I used it and have a ton of action going on. I cleaned and sanitized the jar days in advance. I brew 1 gallon batches so a half of pack works just great for me.:mug:

Back