3-Tier shelf converted to brew cart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greeny87

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Been lurking for a while but figured it was time to post. Got a lot of ideas and useful information on here and finally began construction on my brew cart. Still waiting on a few more parts to arrive in the mail. Chugger Pump, camlock quick disconnects, etc. Here is what I've got so far.

Converted two Sankes for the HLT & BK, still using my igloo as the MT.

Purchased a wire metal shelving unit at Lowe's, took my angle grinder to the top shelf, cut out a 16 1/8 diameter hole and slid it down. It sits and basically locks in place just above the 10g ring on the kegs. Gives support to the mash tun sitting on top.

Next Steps:
Will attach chugger pump on the middle shelf between the two kegs and hook up ball valve, quick disconnects and hoses.

Planning to get a sheet of diamond plate or metal for the bottom shelf to make it easier for my burner to stand up under the HLT / BK.

Looking for a few good hooks to attach on the sides to hold garden hoses and a extension cord.

Will add a PVC pipe & End cap on one pole for my stirring paddle to sit in while not in use.

The goal here is to have everything I need for brew day within reach and automated just enough to brew solo easy enough when needed.

Vessels.jpg

brrew cart.jpg

Got a few more parts in. The Chugger pump arrived, the two BG10 burners arrived. Still waiting on the dual burner hook up, ball valve for MT and some quick disconnects to arrive to hook up the hoses and pump.

Also added a holder on the side for the brew paddle. Coming along pretty well so far, anxious to finish it and brew next weekend.

Would like to also get two hooks for the hose on the side and a extension cord for the chugger pump.

Thanks,

Greeny

image1.jpg

That cheap shelving is not particularly strong. Are you sure it will still hold up a full kettle when heated red hot? Also the plastic clips would probably melt. I think you should at least run a screw through the corners.

Orangehero - Yeah, the specs say steel and rated at 350lbs per shelf. I am going to have to run a test patch with water first to finalize the weight. A full keg is about 160lbs. I don't plan to have more than 10g in a vessel at a time, and only 1-2 vessels max. I think it will be close, but I am hoping it holds.

Flars - The wheels are rated at 500lbs max load.

They're rated at 350lbs evenly distributed and not while being blasted with a propane burner. I'm sure it'll hold up cold, I use something very similar for my electric rig. It just seems to me that using a gas burner on it isn't going to work that well.

I did something similar a while back. Cut a square out of the shelf smaller than keggle bottom for burner flame to come through. Chromed shelving didn't care for the heat of burner flame. It glowed red hot and became misshapen. A larger cut-out with diamond plate reinforcement was my next, unpursued, solution. The heat conducted through the shelving and melted the plastic shelf supports, but they did not fail.
I like these racks and still use them for storage and HLT heating by putting my Bayou Burner on the top shelf and the keggle on that.
I imagine you'll need to shield the heat from that mash tun too.

I think you can make it happen if you keep the burner heat away from the wire rack.

Hoppity - Thanks for the feedback. Currently, I have the burner's about 4-5" away from the metal rack itself. It will definitely be a experiment, but if it does work then it's a pretty nice cart for about $70.00. If it doesn't work, then chalk one up for a reason to get a more durable cart.

I was also leaning towards grabbing a metal sheet to help reinforce and distribute heat across the shelf as a backup. I guess we will see what happens!

Update: Almost finished. Just waiting on a last ball valve to show up that seems to be stuck in the USPS blackhole somewhere. Hooked up the two burners, I have about a 4-5" clearance from the burner to the shelf above. From doing some additional research, it seems there are others online who have used this same cart with success. They all noted the shelf gets red hot, but the metal holds after numerous days of brewing. I guess well find out.

image1 2.jpg

burner closeup.jpg

Update:

After a successful brewing weekend, the cart did hold up. It doesn't look like it will last for many more brews as the shelf is a little warped, but it worked fine.

I will have to either reinforce it or build a new weldless cart. Just wanted to give a heads up in case others are planning to do the same.

Back