3/8 or 1/2 inch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigplunkett

Reaction score
I want to build a chiller i was going to make a two stage with 10 feet or so in an ice bucket. Would 50 feet or 3/8 work better or 25 feet of 1/2 inch, the price is about the same 30$ for each?

You'll get way more surface area with 50' of 3/8" line. I made a single stage this way and combined with cold ground water it chills pretty fast.

Yah like 30% more from math. My ground water is always warm so im gonna make some form of a pri chiller.

I would go 50' of the 3/8 and do a dual coil setup - cold water goes down a tight coil in the center, to cool hottest wort, then comes back up in a larger coil surrounding the inner one. I have this setup with 1/2" 50' copper and it cools boiling wort, up to 11.5 gallons, down to pitching temps insanely quickly. In fact, I usually overshot(under?) whirlpool temps because it cools too fast.

It might be worth looking into a fountain pump. Instead of running a prechiller, toss the fountain pump in a bucket of icewater, and recirculate that through the immersion chiller. This will save you water, and will net you colder water through the IC as opposed to a prechiller.

I made a 50' chiller of 1/2" coil with a "ribcage" design ; down and back with the coils interlocking. I mainly brew 5 gallon batches and it goes really quickly. In this case, going eith er 50' of 3/8" or 25 of 1/2", I'd go with the longer - it's more surface area to chill.
Even if you go with the 10 feet in an ice bucket. What I would suggest is to cut that amount off the main coil, then link using nylon or silicone tubing. You can then disconnect the pre-chiller if you want. Also, as an afterthought, I put a valve at the end of the hose where it connects to the chiller. Highly recommended; you can shut off the flow right there without having to run to your main shutoff.

I would go 50' of the 3/8 and do a dual coil setup - cold water goes down a tight coil in the center, to cool hottest wort, then comes back up in a larger coil surrounding the inner one. I have this setup with 1/2" 50' copper and it cools boiling wort, up to 11.5 gallons, down to pitching temps insanely quickly. In fact, I usually overshot(under?) whirlpool temps because it cools too fast.

It might be worth looking into a fountain pump. Instead of running a prechiller, toss the fountain pump in a bucket of icewater, and recirculate that through the immersion chiller. This will save you water, and will net you colder water through the IC as opposed to a prechiller.

Agreed on the second stage pump/ice bucket. Prechillers are not efficient and don't work that well.

1/2x25 has 33.3% less surface area,
3/8x50 has 50.0% more surface area... I'm confused

Would 160 gph be enough i found one for 12 bucks that might be to much flow thats almost 3 gal a min i like the pump from a bucket of ice watter idea. I could make a bucket wuth the pump at the bottom and use tolet harware at the top to keep the water a a consistant level. I think id probly be better off with 80 gph or so i could allways put a ball valve to control the flow speed.

I can't tell you if that's enough or not, this is the only one I've ever used for this purpose and it has worked well. http://www.harborfreight.com/16-hp-submersible-utility-pump-1350-gph-68422.html

When it's necessary I take an ice chest down to the local 'ice house' and get bulk ice for $2, I think it's 22lbs.

When chilling I'll run ground water until the wort is around 100F, collecting the discharge in buckets. Once I've reached about 100F I'll drop the discharge hose from the chiller in one end of the ice chest and the pump in the other and begin recirculating.

The first chilling water that you collect will be quite hot and good for cleaning, the last I collected will be used for the recirculation, and the bit in between either waters the flower bed or goes to the washing machine.

With all the parts and gittings im looking at 60 bucks not to bad. Now to convince my shmbo.found on adjust from 40 to 180 gph should be enough.

Changed my plans. 396 gph for 16 on amazon and it is adjustable. Found a tank float top off that runs 240 gph for 8$ and 50 ft of coil from a plumbing supply for 32 5 gal bucke for 6bucks some silicon tubing and fitting and ill be good to go. Ill make sure to put togher instructions and results. Thanks for the help guys.

Back