2nd year Cascades - Help me diagnose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therackman

Reaction score
I have second year Cascades growing vigorously. However some of the lower leaves are starting to shrivel and brown on the edges as you can see in the picture. Is this a nutrient deficiency? Is there anything I should do to remedy this? The plants seem otherwise healthy. Thanks.

leaves brown.jpg

5-18-13.jpg

a few tips when diagnosing plans, the first thing you should always know before you start looking at nutrient deficiencies is the pH of your soil and the water you are giving them. Most plants adsorb nutrients best between 5.5 and 6.5. So always check you pH first before giving any supplementary nutrients, so that the problem doesn't go from a lockout to a burn.
i do need a little more information to make a more accurate assessment
the first question i have is, since this is the second year for these hops, did you add any organic material to the bed at the beginning of the year / when they started sprouting? Also do you use any kind of pest repellant ? because to be honest it looks like leaf burn/bleaching from a pest repellant or foliar feed. i have also seen similar burns/bleaching from a cheep new garden hose. the last thing there is a bug (white fly i think) that sucks the juices out of the leaf cells and leaves them looking bleached in small patches.

a few tips when diagnosing plans, the first thing you should always know before you start looking at nutrient deficiencies is the pH of your soil and the water you are giving them. Most plants adsorb nutrients best between 5.5 and 6.5. So always check you pH first before giving any supplementary nutrients, so that the problem doesn't go from a lockout to a burn.
i do need a little more information to make a more accurate assessment
the first question i have is, since this is the second year for these hops, did you add any organic material to the bed at the beginning of the year / when they started sprouting? Also do you use any kind of pest repellant ? because to be honest it looks like leaf burn/bleaching from a pest repellant or foliar feed. i have also seen similar burns/bleaching from a cheep new garden hose. the last thing there is a bug (white fly i think) that sucks the juices out of the leaf cells and leaves them looking bleached in small patches.

Thanks for the reply!

I added steer manure compost at the beginning of the season and have since added some organic material from my fish pond. I sprayed the leaves a few weeks back with Safer Insect Killing Soap http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00192 ... UTF8&psc=1. I think the leaves were like this before spraying, but don't recall for sure. The active ingredient is 49.52% potassium salts of fatty acids. Is that likely to cause this?

Also getting some white frosting on the leaf tips. Does this indicate anything in particular?

white tips.JPG

The white "frosting" on the tips of the leaves is just dirt and grime collecting after sucessive rains. Nothing to worry about.

For you original pictures, if that is all the symptoms you are seeing, I would not worry too much about it. Nutrient deficiencies are notoriously difficult to diagnose and treat, and a few leaves with singed edges are not going to cause any significant loss in yield.

The white "frosting" on the tips of the leaves is just dirt and grime collecting after sucessive rains. Nothing to worry about.

For you original pictures, if that is all the symptoms you are seeing, I would not worry too much about it. Nutrient deficiencies are notoriously difficult to diagnose and treat, and a few leaves with singed edges are not going to cause any significant loss in yield.

Thx. I'll stop worrying.

Back