2nd year cascade problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abowlby

Reaction score
Good afternoon,
I have been searching the web to my problem and can't find any answers. I live in northern MI, and planted hops last year that all did very well. This year my cascade (2nd year plant) has only grown 4 inches and the leaves are turning yellow and shriveling up. My other hop (Chincock and Wye) are doing great. There is Cedar chips around all the plants to help mulch.

image.jpg

Cedars can be toxic to some plants. Just like walnuts, I believe the chemical is thunja.

B-Hoppy,
I agree with the glyphosate damage. I hope I didn't kill my plant. Any idea if there is anything I can do to save it. I am googling the hell out of glyphosate damaged hops

Every year when it comes to spraying early weeds, there's always been a conflict as the hops begin emerging at about the same time the weeds begin to grow. If you start your herbicide program when the weeds are small, you can get good control with using a minimal amount of herbicide, unfortunately this coincides with first hop shoot emergence. My thoughts through the years have been that you are going to cut back (or remove the first growth anyway), so if it gets a little dusting of herbicide, so be it. After many years of treating them this way, I've seen that sort of symptom a number of times and have found that they'll basically outgrow the issue and that it's not 'life threatening' when it comes to your plants. Long term, since the late 80's, I've never seen any type of carry over issues from using glyphosate to have caused any change in my weed control program so I think it's a non issue. Check out MSU's page if you have a facebook acct: https://www.facebook.com/msuhops/?notif_t=notify_me_page

Back