2nd year Cascade any Goulding hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForeverBrew

Reaction score
I planted Cascade and Goulding hops in large pots last year in the Chicago area. Last year the Cascade was the first to sprout, had thick but short vines and did not produce any hops. The Goulding started out slower but grew fast, had thin vines and produced a few ounces.

This year the Cascade is already 2 feet and just starting up a trellis. Looks like it's doing great but the Goulding has no sprouts at all. I know it starts slow but it's mid May and I'm starting to get worried. Not sure if it's dead or just dormant. I will wait and see what happens. Would a hop plant grow the first year but not the second?

Thanks!

Get on yer knees beside the pot and root around in it to see if there is life in the roots or not.

Not too late to pick up another Golding crown from somewhere if it turns out that way.

Mine are up at about 12 feet right now, they are the slowest of the 5 varieties I have. I think because I accidentally mulched that part of my garden with weed sprayed grass.

TeeJo

Thanks TeeJo! There's no life in the roots that I can see. I'll give it a little bit and see how it goes.

Like as not, you got a dud. It happens.

If you cannot get hold of another rhizome, or order in a crown (essentially getting the whole plant already up and running), you may be able to take some cuttings from someone else's plant and root them. Dead easy, stick them in water and ignore them or don't (watching them closely can lead to slipping into a coma LOL), and most of the cuttings will develop roots within a few days.

TeeJo

Back